xiv

• third person •

"So you've gotten into the team..."

"Yeah. Coincidentally."

"Well then? Tell me."

Childe looked away, hesitant for a moment.

"There's no special relationship between the two, but there's some obvious infatuation... I don't know if I-"

"You don't want her to come back? Your precious friend? You know the only way you can do that is by doing this, dear."

His gaze fell. He hated taking orders from this woman, but she was right. As long as the pair got closer... his job could get easier.

And he could bring her back. Back to her home, back to her parent. They wouldn't have to be separated anymore. It was a win win.

"Alright... I get it... I'll do what you say, don't worry."

She chuckled menacingly. "Good. I'll prove to that..." she rolled her eyes, "what I can do. Perhaps I'll give the girl another visit today..."

"Don't hurt her."

"Oh, I won't... Don't worry, darling. I don't have any such intentions..."

The wind began to pick up. A sickening laugh echoed through the air, until the female had disappeared into the currents of the breeze.

• earlier •

"Oh, watch out!"

Childe ran over to (Y/N), blocking a stray arrow with a sword made of water.

(Y/N) peeked over him, smiling. "Thanks, Ch... Childe."

His teeth sparkled as he grinned. (Y/N) couldn't help but stare at his almost discarded actual weapon.

She laughed quietly. "Why are you using a bow? I thought that was your worst weapon. Don't tell me you mastered that one too."

Childe attempted to shoot down an abyss mage that Diluc was dealing with, but missed miserably. (Y/N) snickered, waving at Diluc in the distance who gave them a look of bewilderment.

"I guess not. Your posture's still terrible, by the way."

Childe folded his arms, pouting. "Maybe the great bow master should teach me then. You've always been a prodigy at it."

"Unluckily for you I've been learning other weapons. Diluc's gonna start teaching me how to use a claymore today."

Childe raised an eyebrow slightly. "Is that so..."

"I remember back when we used to train. You still laugh at my attempts at using a bow! I remember your mom used to join us, and she'd help us electrocute monsters. That was fun."

(Y/N) stared at Childe, blinking silently. All of a sudden, a figure appeared before her.

"Keep your guard up." Diluc shoved an approaching hilichurl with a flaming bat down with the tip of his claymore, killing it in an instant. He turned, his eyes piercing into Childe like daggers, before facing (Y/N).

"Sorry," she said quietly.

"Don't apologise," he muttered. (Y/N) only just now seemed to realise he was much less smiley and soft around other people.