Chapter Three: Owed Apologies

The sky was ungodly dark after midnight.

To be fair, it wasn’t like anyone else was sleeping either.

The group of Potter-Granger-Weasleys stayed up together in the upstairs room - talking and playing games as they anticipated Harry’s arrival. (“Why in the world would everyone blindly follow ‘Simon’?” Fred had asked incredulously when Hermione and herself had tried to introduce ‘Simon Says’. “A dictatorship is what you’re playing at - and I myself am a professional rebel.”)

Anna absent-mindedly twisted her crimson curls in-between her fingers. She knew it wasn’t her fault that she didn’t tell Harry about 12 Grimmauld Place - Anna had even been ordered to keep her mouth shut. But her conscience continued to nag at her annoyingly, subconsciously feeling she had failed as a sister by keeping secrets from him.

It’s only another deed to be added onto my long list of failures.

“Harry!” She suddenly heard, jumping in surprise as her head automatically whipped around to see him standing at the doorway - subtle exhaustion etched into his features.

Anna immediately ran to embrace him - even though she always tried to convince herself that she just wasn’t the hugging type - and he let out a small ‘oof’ as she latched onto his torso. “Hey, Anna.”

His voice was subdued, and another pang of guilt went through her as she hesitantly unattached herself from him.

It was Hermione’s turn to greet him - pestering him like a worried mother as her eyes scanned him for any negative changes that could’ve happened over the summer without her notice.

“Gee - let him breathe, would you?” Ron broke in, sending Harry an unrestrained grin as he let him in - closing the door behind him.

Harry!” Anna’s animagus ears picked up Hedwig’s excited voice as she soared over - nuzzling her owner gently with her beak.

Harry smiled as he ruffled his owl’s feathers.

At least he was actually happy to see somebody.

“She’s been in a right state - nearly pecked us half to death when she brought your last letters.” Ron said - holding out his hand to demonstrate the deep cut on his finger.

“Oh, yeah.” He scratched at the back of his neck sheepishly, though he didn't appear too sorry. “Sorry about that - but I wanted answers, you know?”

“We wanted to tell you, but we were on a gag order,” Anna tried to explain. “Dumbledore made us-”

“-swear not to tell me.” He finished icily.

There was a long silence.

“He seemed to think it was best - Dumbledore I mean.” Hermione added quietly.

“Right.” Harry only said. His eyes went to the marks on her fingers, but he didn’t seem all too concerned at the moment.

“He was just trying to do what was the safest option.” Ron backed her up. “He said that staying with the muggles was the best-”

“Was it?” Harry retorted. “Were any of you attacked by dementors this summer?”

“We told him to keep you informed, but he insisted. He thought that the owls would be intercepted or something-”

“Are you seriously trying to say there’s no other way to send messages other than using owls?”

Hermione started. “Harry! We’re sorry but we really couldn’t tell you - not without getting into serious trouble.”

Harry scoffed. “It seems very convenient that we can do everything else, but when it comes to actually telling me anything, you lot are suddenly the definition of perfect obedient children.” He narrowed his eyes. “I bet you all were really comfortable here while I was stuck back with the Dursley’s and their antics while-”

Stop.” Anna’s quiet, but strong voice interrupted him. Her matching emerald orbs met his - though they shone with something stronger. “I get that you’re angry and frustrated - I do. But if you recall, 4 years ago when I first went to Hogwarts, this entire world was kept from me also.”

Harry finally sobers at this.

“I didn’t know who Voldemort was - or why the Potter name was such a big deal or the type of people that would be after me because you didn’t tell me.” Anna continued. “When I first picked up my wand, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. So don’t complain about one summer, please. Focus on the fact that you’re here now.”

This was the first time Anna had ever brought up her feelings about being inducted into the wizarding world, and the accusation in her voice stunned even herself.

Slowly, Harry finally spoke again. “Do you...do you blame me - for your foster family’s death?”

Though he had been so close to completely flipping out before, now he looked closer to tears than Anna had ever seen him. Guilt was evident in his expression, and his body language of that of a kicked puppy.

Harry only knew the half of all that had happened to her since becoming a witch - and her foster family’s murder was just the beginning of it. But her fate all stemmed from the moment that she, a newborn infant, had thrown herself in front of him, and had activated the curse that she must be killed by his hand for Voldemort to finally die for good.

If you looked back at the facts, technically, Harry was the reason for all of it.

“No.” Her answer came quicker than she expected. Anna wasn’t very nice, and she wasn’t afraid to speak her mind. So it didn’t make sense that she, the selfish person she was, didn’t blame him - yet no matter how hard she tried, it was impossible for her to even think of ever blaming him for everything that had happened.

Anna shrugged. “You’re my brother - not my mother. I mean, a head’s up would’ve been nice, instead of all the secrets about your super cool 'private boarding school' I used to hear about in your old letters, but you wouldn’t have known any better than to keep the secret like everyone else told you to.”

She gestured to herself, Ron and Hermione. “I’m just saying that that’s what happened here. We followed the rules because we thought we were doing what was best for you because Dumbledore told us so. It sucks, but if you were in our position, wouldn’t you have done the same thing?”

“..yes.” He admits grudgingly after a long moment. But his eyes are still haunted as he meets her gaze. “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry. I should’ve said something to you before you came to Hogwarts.”

She returns his apology with a small smile. “I’ll forgive you if you forgive us?”

Harry then lets out a loud chuckle, but he grins and nods. “Deal.”

“Awesome.” Ron claps his hands - his eyes dancing with glee. “Now that all our affairs have been put in order...who’s ready for a midnight snack?”