Chapter Twenty-Five: Department of Mysteries

“Anna!” Harry exclaimed when their group finally found him and Hermione at the entrance of Hogwarts.

He stopped short once he was within 3 ft of her, his gaze evaluating every inch of her - focusing mostly on the bandage that Ginny had helped her with. “Your hand..”

“Won’t bother me,” Anna finished for him. “Believe me - I’ve taken enough serums so it’ll be numb for awhile, along with the headache. It doesn’t matter.” She brushed him off. “We have to save Sirius.”

Harry clenched his jaw. She knew he wanted to say more, but they both knew the same thing: Sirius came first.

“Would you look at that? Thestrals.” Luna observed, causing everyone else to look around confused, yet both Potters managed to spot the same two thestrals she had discovered in the first place. “We can use them to get to your friend.”

Harry made a sound of displeasure, but said nothing. Anna rolled her eyes. She knew how much she wanted to keep them out of it, but as much as she knew he just wanted to protect them, they were a part of this too.

Her more so than he would ever know.

Anna.” The main thestral acknowledged her with a small bow. Though she herself had never spoken personally to the thestrals before, it had been made known to her over the recent years that more often than not, creatures were more observant than anyone would care to presume. “We can take you where you seek to travel - though I do not think your friends can see us as you and the others.”

“Some can’t.” She confirmed, though she didn’t see it as more of a weakness than a privilege. “But the ones who can see will help.”

“What did they say?” Harry interrupted, catching on to what she was doing - emerald eyes missing nothing.

She gave the thestral a nod before speaking. “They’ll help us get to the Ministry.”

“You can speak to them?” Neville asked, eyes wide.

“Most curious.” Luna only said, eyes sparkling with something akin to wonder.

On cue, more thestrals began to appear out from the forest - many taking a liking to Harry in Hermione as they began to nibble on the fabric of their clothes.

Anna simply rose an eyebrow.

“Don’t ask.” Harry groaned as the thestrals continued to lick at the blood soaking his sweater.

- - -

They had arrived sooner than Anna realized.

Ron looked a bit traumatized as he toppled off his thestral - Ginny rolling her eyes as she nudged him along (“Come on, you great big baby.”).

Other than that, everyone seemed okay and accounted for.

“Thank you,” Anna whispered to the thestral. Another thing she had learned early on: most species had a long-lived memory. And she had no intention of being on their bad side, after seeing Ron nearly killed at least twelve times on the ride over. “You’ve been a great help to us.”

They only nodded. “Watch your step, child. You’re walking into a battleground. Your enemies are not to be underestimated.”

She nodded grimly. “We’ll do our best.”

Stay alive.” Was the last thing the thestral offered before following the others in rummaging for scraps in a nearby dumpster.

“Good riddance.” Ron mumbled.