Chapter Eleven: A Talk Over Butterbeer

“Have you gone mad?” Was Tonk’s first response when Anna had tried to explain her situation.

The two sat in Brew and Stews Cafe in Hogsmeade after she had asked for the elder’s assistance as they sat back, sipping two cups of iced butterbeer.

Anna narrowed her eyes as she looked away, her cheeks slightly pink despite her unwavering insistence. “If everything else in this bloody world is real, why can't a ghost be? Nearly-Headless Nick is around, isn’t he? Why couldn’t that blasted bloke be here as well?”

“I can still hear you,” Cedric said sing-songingly - his empty eyes mocking her. “She’s just going to think you’re crazy is all - haven’t you lost enough friends.”

“Go straight to hell.” Anna muttered in reply, dropping her head in her arms tiredly.

Ever since Cedric - or whatever he was - had appeared, Anna hadn’t been able to get a wink of sleep since the second he came. “Make it stop. Please.”

 Tonks shrugged, cocking an eyebrow. “It doesn’t work that way. People don’t just die and become spirits like the Hogwarts ghosts. They have to sign a contract - make a promise of sorts.”

She can’t help you - no one can. You’re too broken.” ‘Cedric’ teased.

“So then what is this? A spell of sorts?” Anna demanded, shooing him away as he continued to nag at her with insults.

She pursed her lips, pushing her cup of butterbeer away. “....actually, i don’t think it’s magic at all. I think it’s...you.”

Anna sputtered. “What the bloody - why would I be responsible for whatever thing keeps following me around? It’s not like I like to torture myself.”

“It’s subconscious.” She only offered, meeting Anna’s eyes once again. “You said you think he’s Cedric right - your dead boyfriend?”

“He’s not my boyfriend. He died, remember?”

“Well, whatever he is. You blame yourself for what happened to him, so your subconsciousness is using him as a visual - most likely your head trying to deal with all of your emotional baggage.”

Oh.

All at once, Anna regretted coming to her most perceptive friend.

She awkwardly scooted her chair back, trying to find a way to escape. “Well then, if it’s just that, I can probably deal with it on my own then. Thanks for the help, I guess.” But before she could take another step, Tonks had her arm in a firm grip.

“Anna, wait.” She bit her lip. “I can help you.”

The girl scoffed. “How? This...Cedric-thing is nothing more than a figment of my imagination. You can’t fight my demons for me.”

“You’re right, I can’t. But I can help you fight them yourself. Just like Mad-Eye taught me.” She looked almost wistful before she returned to earth. “Meet me at the Shrieking Shack. Tomorrow night.”

Anna rose an eyebrow. “But we don’t have Hogsmeade trips at night.”

“And when has breaking the rules stopped you?” Tonks eyed her slyly. “Use your animagus form and sneak out.”

“You do realize you are encouraging a minor to break rules, right?” Despite her words, she grinned.

Tonks shook her head. “I don’t like it when people do that. You’ve been through so much, yet they’re still treating you like you’re a child.” Her dark eyes sparkled with something more. “I’m not going to do that. You're not a child anymore - just stuck in the body of one, yet you've been forced to face the world of an adult far too soon. So I’m going to teach you how to survive in this world - whether you want to or not.”