Chapter Twenty-Four: Rescue

It all happened so quickly.

Anna could only process pressure being removed from over her as her body slumped - falling into the nearest possible object.

Unluckily, the object was Draco.

She blinked at him wearily, her gaze lackluster. “You left me.” She whispered hoarsely.

He shook his head, his silvery eyes containing extra shine. “I..I had to wait until she left. But I managed to take down the rest of our lot while Granger and your brother led her away. You’re safe.”

She didn’t feel safe. Her heart felt like it was bleeding like an open wound, and she couldn’t quite fight the burn of betrayal.

She knew he loved her. But it wasn’t enough - not in the face of the legacy Draco was so obsessed with leaving behind.

The legacy he could only have as her brother's adversary.

He would always be against him.

Yet she could never leave Harry's side.

Anna felt tired - absolutely exhausted. It would’ve been easier to just sleep and never wake up, with the mess her life was at that moment.

But she didn’t.

Instead, Anna did what she always did.

Powered through the pain.

She bit hard down on her lip as she separated herself from Draco, taking care as she stepped away. She couldn’t meet his eyes.

Because despite everything he was, despite all of the impossibilities, she loved him more than anything else.

And that absolutely terrified her to her very core. That she would do anything, anything, for the boy that stood before her.

“Anna,” Ginny broke her train of thought. Her chocolate eyes were soft. “We have to go.”

She nodded stiffly, looking back at Draco. “I’ll talk to you another time.” But as she began to walk away, a hand wrapped itself around her arm.

“Wait-you’re hurt.” Draco frowned.

In more ways than one.

“They need me.” Anna bit out. “At least I know where my loyalties lie.”

Draco clenched his jaw, but said nothing.

She shook her arm out of his grip, watching as his hand fell uselessly back to his side. Her resolve began to wane. “I carry around adrenaline serums for a reason. I’ll be fine.”

“Be careful.” He warned.

Anna couldn’t help the slight curve of her lip as she nodded in reassurance. “I’ll try.”

Because despite how much her hand ached and how terrible she felt - whenever he looked at her, her heart couldn’t help but skip a beat.

Because as much as she didn't want to admit it, even she if she knew it was true. It wasnt the butterflies she had experienced with Cedric - naive love filled with empty promises of happiness.

No. This was a feeling much more intense. It was the feeling of knowing that despite the fact that everything was against it, despite the fact that their relationship foretold nothing but heartbreak and hurt, she still wanted him.

More than anything.

But she wouldn't make the same mistakes - she couldn't afford to. Not again.

Maybe in another life, where Anna didn't have to die and Draco didn't have to live to appease the people. Maybe then they could finally be together.

Anna turned away as she walked out, a single tear falling down her face.

Because she was Anna Potter - just a girl whose life wasn't written with a happy ending.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the short chapter but it's been a busy week!

I hope you're having a good day and thank u for reading! <3