19. 𝗦𝗲𝗹𝗳 𝗗𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗻

(5)
Flashback
Frankie's POV

"What do you want when I go in?" Anthony asked me as he opened the car door to get out.

"Cookies and fruit snacks!" I said excitedly as I felt the car shift from him getting out. He then turned around and peaked in while his hand rested on the hood of the car.

"Sounds good. I have to pick up a few other groceries but I will be back in ten minutes." He said smiling at me.

I nodded as my attention now focused onto playing with the seatbelt that was over me.

I sensed his presence linger for a bit longer before I heard the door shut.

I then looked up as I saw him walking away from the car and towards the store. I kind of wanted to go with him now that I thought about it.

Before I could even fully finish that thought, I quickly reached my hands to the seatbelt that was restraining me. I wasn't as used to unbuckling these as I was sitting in a big girl seat. In the past I had a car seat but these foster parents didn't have one for me.

I fidgeted and fumbled with the seat belt a bit before finally getting it to un click.

After hearing the sound of success, I felt excitement raid me.

I then scrambled from where I was sitting and reached for the car door handle.

It opened as I felt my weight shift before sliding somewhat out of the car, but something stopped me.

Would Anthony be mad that I had followed him in? He had never hurt me before and he was easily one of the nicer foster parents I have had.

I realized that maybe I would be too late anyway to catch up to him. I didn't see him by the entrance of the grocery store which must have meant he had already gone in.

Maybe it was a little risky if me to dash out of the car to go find him.

Now I wasn't so sure of my plan and the more cautious instead of curious side got to me.

I reversed my previous action and hoisted myself back up into the car. It helped that I hadn't originally slid completely out of the car so that I was standing on the ground. I then scooted further back from the door and got situated in my seat before shutting the door once more. I sighed somewhat disappointed with myself. I was always up for a little adventure but something told me not this time. I didn't understand why. But I decided to listen to that pulling in my gut telling me not to get out of the car.

That decision at that very moment changed everything for me.

At the time I didn't know it but this would lead me to a different path. A path full of pain and hurt. Of losing trust and gaining instincts. It would lead me to the two men who would try and end my life. It was possibly one of the worst decisions I had ever made.

Not following Anthony into the grocery store would cost me my life.

But it would also lead me to my new family. To people who would never want to let me go. And to someone who wished they hadn't let me go from the start.

That decision would lead to both good and bad. But for the time being, I wouldn't know of what is to come.

I sat back in the car more as I had my eyes peeled on the front of the grocery store. Maybe still hoping to see Anthony walking in.

It also dawned on me that he hadn't locked the car. What would I have done if the doors had been locked? I wouldn't have been able to follow Anthony in let alone get the door open. I didn't even know how to unlock it if I wanted to.