2. 𝗙𝗶𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗠𝗲

(Also this chapter is once more cringey. When this sign * is at the top, know it's not my best work and I will be redoing/updating many of the chapters.)

*
(5)
Flashback
Mike's POV

Stef and I had been patrolling the streets where by now, it was getting darker. High rates of drug activity happened around the area we were in and it wasn't the best part of town.

We were on a graveyard shift and had a long night ahead of us.

(Side note I hate my writing compared to what is is now in 2023 and going into 2024. I wrote this in 2019 so it's not my best work. It's under construction so ignore the random cut off of ideas and jump around writing until I get around to completing and spellchecking/ publishing this book) which might not be for at least three years.

"Mike, look over there." Stef said as she started getting out of the passengers side.

We turned on our flashlights that had previously been clipped to our belt and got closer to the shed. Neither one of us knew what to expect but thats what came with the job on a daily.

She ignored me and kept walking towards the shed. I was about to put my flashlight away since she had hers out but then there came a noise.

The sound of something suddenly falling in the shed. Then rustling noises.

Stef quickly reached for her gun.

"Police, anyone in there?" I called as I had my hand resting on the holster of my belt. We were now at the entrance of the shed before we we heard another noise. A whine. Almost a whimper?

She stepped into the shed, gun still raised with the flashlight that was attached to her weapon.

"Oh my god." I heard her voice say from inside. She didn't sound scared, but I could tell a sense of immediacy arose. What could she have possibly found? My mind continued to race with endless scenarios as I entered into the somewhat larger structure.

Then I saw where her flashlight was pointed.

Walking into that shed changed a lot of lives in that moment. It was best thing that ended up happening in each of those lives. I didn't know what healing really was until this new chapter in my life. All of those other lives had chapters and this little girl would have a little page curled on each.

I don't want to think about what could have happened if we hadn't found her that night. She most likely would have starved had she been out there by herself another night alone. Anything could have happened to her if we hadn't been the ones who walked into that very shed.

I saw Stef lower her weapon slowly as I also gently lowered both of my arms to my sides while being sure not to aim my flashlight directly at her. Stef and I made sure to keep a good distance between us as we didn't want to scare this small human being in front of us.

She seemed to be a little smaller than most kids her age. Maybe because she had now tucked herself even further into the corner? She looked to be around 5 or 6. The condition her clothes were in was tough, but her
tangle of curls seemed to be in even more tough of conditions. I noticed a few small bruises here and there which made my heart break a little more.

"Hi, my name is Stef, and this is Mike." I heard Stef say in a soft gentle voice. Stef had always been great with kids and this moment was no different.

"What's your name?" She continued with a comforting voice as we both made ourselves not as intimidating by kneeling/ crouching down to her level.