Chapter 9 ~ Seperation

"The living pine after what ifs while the dead simply regret what should have been."

- The Awakening

~*~

Separation

Chapter 9

The sky was completely dark when they arrived at their next destination, the first location harbouring nothing but the gods creation. Nothing seemed out of ordinary or abnormal to clue them in on the artefacts location. The moon hung high in the sky, the beams filtering between looming trees, a slight breeze sifting through the air.

The air was fresh, the smell of impending rain and soil teasing their noses. They had just finished eating the remnants of yesterday's meal and were now tending to their beasts. Light, playful snarls vibrated the world's core as they sauntered off into the woods. They would be called when needed. Right now, they needed this freedom. It was in their nature and it would not do them any good to keep them tied up just for their own sake.

Saskia was in deep thought when a bright, golden light caught her eye. Her eyes widened, awe stealing her breath. For once in her life she was speechless. Iridescent lights floated mid-air, the dancing lights skirting up and around her. They were elegant in their approach, the blinding intensity reflecting in her eyes as they ambled around both her and her partner.

Their eyes met, wonder alight in both.

Their movements were hypnotic, the ethereality causing words to falter as both she and Andre simply watched. It was mesmerising to witness, a sight to behold, something that should be cherished. A comfortable silence enveloped them, both unwilling to break it, knowing that it would break the magic behind what they were beholding.  

The lights glided around her hair, some trailing her arm and legs. The dark forest was alit with the vivid lights, something so enchanting about it that she could scarcely breath. She was so lost in the wonderment behind it all that she was baffled when she felt a strong pull, a tugging.

She swallowed a gasp, the tugging sensation amplifying as dozens of lights surrounded her, obscuring her view of the forest. Andre watched, stunned. There was not a lot that could shock the man, he had witnessed many a sight. But no words escaped him as he watched as hundreds of brilliant lights gravitated onto his partner, like bee to pollen or a thief to gold. The sight was something he had never seen before, something so otherworldly.

He finally spoke, eyes alit with marvel, "It seems like they have taken a liking to you."

"What are they?" she spoke in a quiet whisper, afraid the loud volume will disrupt the tranquillity. 

"Amis, they are tiny creatures that hide from people. They are usually shy and fear our people, so for them to come out of hiding so boldly..."

Suddenly, they all soared higher into the air, all of them bundled together. They drifted until a shape formed. Andre and Saskia shared a long look. The Amis had worded 'follow us'. Without waiting the creatures fled, prompting the two partners to follow, their steps quick as they tried to keep up.

"Is following them wise?" she asked, breathless due to the quick succession of their movements. Her eyes were trained hard on the tiny creatures, their golden light lighting up the path just like their very own sun. A small light amidst the bleeding darkness, that they would later realise to hold a lot of significance.

"They are known for their good, they are creatures who worship the gods religiously and propagate goodness. However, for the last century they have been in recluse. Hiding from our people and staying within themselves for reasons unknown so believe me when I say I am utterly baffled that they decided to come out now, in such a large group no less."