Chapter 11 ~ A Tragedy Awaits

"If you have not loved, then you have not lived at all."

- The Awakening

~*~

A Tragedy Awaits

Chapter 11

"Saskia...it is done."

One sentence that threatened to break her, her very being shaking with looming possibilities and what ifs. They plagued her numb mind, on a loop constantly flashing beneath her tightly closed lids. All of this went through her but her façade remained calm and effortlessly cool, unwilling to show even a miniscule of emotion because by doing so, she knew her perfectly intact exterior would hopelessly break.

With a large intake of breath, she followed the old, blind woman into the room laden with the scent of death and decay. Her eyes automatically fastened onto the figure, his breaths marginally calmer, less effort being put into the very basic workings of a person's body. Her eyes then rested on his face, the skin looking less ghastly, his eyes though sunken in, looking less bleak. She then noticed the fading of those thick, black veins that had attacked his body mercilessly.

A non-existent weight seemed to lift off her shoulders, the burden of finding his cure finally being released from her mind and body. A barely-there sigh escaped her lips, relief so powerful and all-consuming lifting her head and shoulders high. Her legs though stiff, managed to walk towards his peacefully sleeping figure.

She bit her lip to resist the tremor that threatened to break out, her resolve something to be challenged when in the presence of someone she truly loved with all her being. She placed a hand on his head, trying to stem the river of quakes and emotions that flooded her mind and body.

She realised that none had entered the room, thanking them silently for giving her the much-needed privacy she needed. It gave her time to reflect, time to release her feelings like the slow trickle of water, without the burden of a stranger witnessing the intimate sight. She pursed her lips and held onto his hand tightly, as if reassuring herself that he was alive--barely--but alive and breathing. He would make it, she was sure of that. He was as strong as he was stubborn, certain that he was fighting with all his being to remain alive, stubbornly holding onto the life he fought so hard for in the past.

And because of that, she smiled. A small smile but nonetheless a smile. One so full of life and overwhelming liberation.

"You will be alright, Kalil."

~*~

Andre entered the room with the other two ladies, his eyes automatically rounding on the ailing figure upon the bed, his body and face regaining colour of that of a person who was alive. Relief made his features relax, pleased with the fact that the cure had worked. It made the past few weeks feel like a breeze, their hard work able to restore someone back to their original health. It was a satisfying feeling.

Cersei approached Saskia, a gentle hand being placed on her shoulder. "There is something we need to discuss." He suddenly felt a piercing gaze branding him on the side of his face. He turned to find the old woman's stare fixed on him, the intensity behind it stealing his breath. He swallowed tightly, finding her stare to be quite unnerving.

"He is trustworthy Cersei. You may discuss it with him present."

"I trust your judgement. I suggest you both sit down for this, it is quite a tragic tale."

The two young adults shared a long look before seating themselves in the two chairs opposite a dining table. Mina took it within herself to leave the premise, understanding that what was about to be said was sensitive and only told to those able to bear its weight.