Chapter 14 ~ The Trials

"During these dark times we must all unite and stand together."

- Emperor Jehanel

~*~

| The Trials I |

Chapter 14

"Great, everyone is here on time. Have you prepared yourselves adequately?"

Nods were his answer as Master Haynes regarded his students carefully. They all harboured a bag of their own filled with the necessary essentials as they stood in a straight line. Saskia shifted the bag on her shoulder absentmindedly, her sword a comfort by her side. Her fingers brushed against the inscribed runes on the scabbard gently as she listened intently to Haynes, her thoughts centring on the trial they were going to be faced up against.

"The location this trial will be taking place is in the Kavil ruins--"

"You cannot be serious," a voice asserted while others gasped, astounded.

The Kavil Ruins. The place was notorious, everyone and anyone knew of its whereabouts and all avoided it at all costs. It was no place any creature should find themselves in. A place where no life existed, where nothing could grow to be innocent or pure. It was a place of barren nature, trees and greenery consumed by the dark and potent aura of demons. It harboured demons and only demons and if any poor soul happened to come across it then they would vanish, never to be seen again. The tales that surrounded the Kavil Ruins were anything but innocent, and any sort of mention caused shivers of absolute fear.

The place was cursed, that everyone believed.

"More than serious," he answered back cheerfully, enjoying the expressions on his students' faces. He raised a finger, "May I finish without any disturbances?"

They nodded numbly.

"Wonderful! Now, as I was saying the trials will be held in the Kavil ruins, this means that we will be going on a short journey down South. We will be arriving there through the use of a portal that will ensure we arrive a few miles away from the location. I will allow some rest for one day and then instruct you on the next instructions. On this journey you will be accompanied by myself as well as Master...Ophelia Valak," he said, voice turning slightly sour at the mention of his colleague.

Saskia's lips pulled up into a non-existent wry smile, noting the bitter tone of his voice at the thought of her. She kept hold of that certain information, knowing it could be of benefit to her someday. With a clap of his hands he gestured to everyone to follow him, no doubt they being shown where the portal was. She followed on behind a young woman, who she learned to be called Gaia. Her hair was woven like the silken threads of golden light and the persistent grin on her face lightened the atmosphere.

It made her feel somewhat calm.

Gaia slowed down her pace until she was walking side by side to Saskia, a light questioning brow raised her way. "So, you feeling nervous?"

"No," she answered shortly.

"Oh, come on! No need to be so formal," she leaned in close, eyes dancing with mischief. "I'm somewhat shitting myself if I'm being honest." She chuckled, "When I win no hard feelings, okay?"

A smile twitched at her lips for a short second, "Of course not."

Master Haynes took them down a weathered path past the academy, another building looming up ahead. "This here is the archives. Clearance is needed for those that wish to enter so students are prohibited from entering. However, in this instance it is permitted due to it hosting one of the largest portals."