Chapter 27 ~ Guilty Hearts

"Some of the most beautiful things we have in life comes from our mistakes."

- Surgeo Bell

~*~

Guilty Hearts

Chapter 27

It had been a couple of days journeying, and on the fourth day they were almost half a day's away from the city. Throughout the trip the guardians along with Saskia and Andre were all tense, waiting and anticipating for something--anything to happen but it remained somewhat peaceful. Nothing out of the ordinary happened in Ikmate, which was odd to say the least. The survivors were just as tense, if not for the possible threats then the atmosphere surrounding the four high-ranking figures. Their demeanour was undeniably unapproachable, save for the general who had to remain the 'friendly' one so that they wouldn't feel too uncomfortable around them and even then, he was still as reserved as he usually is. It was amusing to see the women flock to him whenever something frightened them, surrounding him as he became flustered and fumbled around his words. It was a sight to see, the proud general reduced to a blundering mess when pursued by indebted women. 

Saskia rubbed a casual hand over her right arm as they finally exited out of the forest, her eyes falling on the towering gates far ahead, the enclosed city protected from outside dangers. She squinted a little, shielding her eyes with her hand as the sun loomed high in the sky. The people climbed down from the creatures of the wild, and whispered their thanks as they disappeared within the dense woodland, their hides concealing them from potential hunters. Excited chatter surrounded them as they trekked closer and closer towards the immense gates. Their eyes flittered all over it in awe, eyes sparkling with joy and wonder. It was obvious it was their first time seeing a structure such as this one, coupled with the fact that it housed the most important people in the world--the royal family. 

Andre paused before the gates, raising a hand as dozens of archers readied their weapons, magic power blazing wildly. They held their position from the command of a tall dark-skinned man. His one eye was as sharp as a blade as it roamed over their large group purposefully. His sights rested on the general, recognition lighting up his features. He nodded at his superior with respect before uttering a short command. A few seconds later the gates groaned as they were pulled open, soldiers lined up opposite each other as they waited for their next command.

The one-eyed man stepped forward with his bulky arms crossed against his chest, pointed teeth gleaming as he adjusted the black patch covering his other eye. "General, it's been a while. The mission was successful, I gather?" he said as he appraised the civilians standing behind him. They had huddled together, eyes scanning everything and everyone with somewhat fear and awe.

"My return does not mean I will return to my usual duties, Falkor. There are some things I must deal with first. In the meantime, you know what to do," Andre said in his usual stern voice. He gestured to the civilians behind him, "These are survivors of a demon attack. I need you to maintain contact with the other chiefs of the wall and report anything of significance to me. You must also ensure you tighten security. No-one gets in and no-one gets out without permission from me. Understood?"

He fisted a hand over his chest and nodded, "Affirmative, general."

"Good."

He inclined his head and then Caspian moved towards the front while the two women hung back, staring straight ahead even as city-dwellers stopped and watched as they marched through. Their eyes followed the high-ranking figures with awe, several bowing their heads in respect as they passed. Meanwhile, others whispered to each other about the rugged and bloodied look of the survivors, some holding a hand against their mouths at the sight. "Quit staring," snapped Xena, her eyes spearing through the villagers with intensity. "You're slowing us down and I'm tired."