Chapter 26 ~ Eager Ladies

"Not all who wander are lost."

Lex Sinclair

~*~

Eager Ladies

Chapter 26

A heavy feeling settled on Saskia's chest, one filled with great guilt. She swallowed harshly, eyes vacant as she peered into the dark jungle, the sounds of its inhabitants muted as eerie shadows whispered across the trees, a black void sucking in all and every light despite the orange and red hues of the sky. It had been mere minutes since she found out what had happened to Maya. According to the villagers, she had disappeared into the forest as a form of distraction so they, as well as the chief could hide someplace else away from the beasts. She had done it without consulting anyone else, foolishly jeopardizing her life in an attempt to give them time and it would cost her. The woman was lost to the darkness and no one knew to what darkness.

Saskia could not help the malevolent feelings from sprouting within her, for she had promised the woman that she would help, that she would save her from her fate and yet she had failed. She had failed Maya and as a result she was most likely killed or...turned. She placed two fingers in her mouth and belted out three quick, high-pitched whistles. Andre winced beside her from the piercing sound, waiting patiently for the reliable Sekhet's. The survivors stood behind them, huddled together fearfully as they eyed the setting sun with unease.

"Is it wise to leave at this time?" she asked Andre. "The cursed are no little matter--they are formidable creatures as you are aware."

Caspian took it upon himself to answer, his towering form creating a shadow against the ground. The shadows curled around his hand drew fondly towards the shadows on the ground, as if greeting an acquaintance. "W have no choice. The stench of blood and death is enticing and will no doubt attract more than just one type of beast. We cannot waste our time here. There is nothing left."

Just as soon as he finished speaking, thunderous vibrations shook the core of the grounds, trees and bushes hissing and spitting. The sekhet's burst through the thick shrubbery, a horde of them large and mighty as they stood at attention. Saskia approached on heavy feet, her hand automatically smoothing against the beast's snout. She leant her head against his own, conveying her gratitude and respect. She stood back and noted the number of people--thirty. There were only a pack of seven sekhet's so a few would have to walk.

She watched as Andre took charge and helped the elderly and children up on their backs, while the stronger ones stepped back and declined to sit upon them. She grabbed a young boy by his arms and hauled him into his mother's waiting arms. The woman thanked her gratefully, eyes slick with emotion as she gripped her child in her arms securely. "Thank you for you all you have done, I will be forever indebted to you," she whispered.

Saskia remained tight-lipped but nodded her head nonetheless. A few minutes later everyone had been secured, a group of nine young men and women deigning to walk alongside the beasts.

"Andre and Xena take the front and myself and Saskia will take up the rear. Stay vigilant at all times, we cannot risk anymore casualties."

Andre nodded and automatically veered to the front of the group with Xena, while Saskia followed Caspian to the rear. The villagers remained between them, some succumbing to the darkness that had been tugging at them for some time while the rest seemed too nervous to fall asleep, eyes veering left and right as the forest loomed ahead of them. Xena compressed a small amount of power between her hands until a tiny sphere of golden light floated ahead of them, lighting up their path slightly as dusk fully surfaced above them.