Chapter 21 ~ Wayward Ears

"Behind a mask, a face suffers loneliness."

- Unknown

~*~

Wayward Ears

Chapter 21

"...Luna..."

Her voice was almost inaudible, eyes wide and glassy as she regarded the woman opposite her. She approached on hesitant feet, unable to believe that her figure was there, alive and breathing. She paused just as soon as she was within arm's reach, eyes flitting over her familiar features with uncertainty. It was the most emotion that any of the others had ever seen on her face. Time stood still between them as unspoken words filtered between them, the emotion in both of their faces so heartbreakingly real that no one could dare move.

They both remained silent, eyes only able to flit across each other's faces, drinking it in eagerly as if with one blink either one would disappear. Luna took a step forward on numb legs, lips trembling and eyes radiating pure grief. "Saskia," she cried and launched herself onto the other woman who could only wrap her arms around the crying woman numbly, unable to feel or think logically. At the contact she took in a sharp breath, throat tightening with the urge to cry. She blinked rapidly and tightened her arms around Luna, squeezing her so tight as if she would disappear right in front of her eyes. 

Her throat physically hurt as she harshly reigned in the need to cry, burying her face in the shorter woman's neck. Her fair, almost white, hair smelt exactly like before; roses and something warm filled her heart at the memorable smell. They stood hugging for what seemed like hours but what was only minutes, the others unable to move or breath for fear they would break the fragile atmosphere.

Saskia pulled back, eyes rimmed with slight tears.

"Are you real?" she breathed. "Are you really the Luna I know?"

Luna nodded, eyes unable to see clearly as her shoulders shook with heartrending sobs. She brushed a hesitant hand across Saskia's cheeks, "I thought you...died." Her voice reverberated pure pain and nothing else, the years of torment and grief unable to escape her voice.

Saskia shook her head, "I...Luna I saw...I saw your home--and your mother--" She broke off, unable to speak about the painful recollection. She inhaled a calming breath to stop herself from shattering, "How are you here? Alive?"

"Your brother," Luna spoke, voice breaking as she choked up at the memories. Fresh tears filled her eyes, "He...he helped me escape but--but he...he went back." Her lips quivered as she spoke and she shook her head, "Gods..." she wiped a hand down her face and glanced back up, "How did you make it out alive?"

Saskia didn't know what to say, her mouth working hard to form a sentence. She couldn't lie to her but she couldn't tell her the truth either, it would break her. She cleared her throat and chose the lesser of both evils, "I wasn't there when they attacked, I was by the falls and when I made it back to the village everything...everything had been razed to the ground."

Her voice was firm as she spoke, trying hard not to get caught up in her emotions as she spoke of their joint past. Luna wrapped her small arms around Saskia once more, relishing in the feeling of hugging her best and most loving friend again. Despite the pain of having to confront the past again she felt so much joy, so much relief at knowing she was alive. She closed her eyes and savoured the moment, knowing it would be shattered by the inevitable questions surrounding her.

Saskia held her securely, basking in her warmth.

"Sister--what are you doing?" a voice so familiar and astonished interrupted their moment.