Chapter 30

It was well after supper by the time the nausea wore off and I was beginning to feel more like myself than I had been in the past weeks. My wolf was still slightly on edge about seeing Kieran again. We both had missed him immensely.

When ten o'clock rolled around we were beginning to think he wasn't coming and that's when my wolf's ears perked and my heart beat sped up. We had been here for seven hours. If the distance was as Kieran said it was, he should have been here two hours ago.

Now he was close. We knew it.

I also knew he was tired, and anxious and angry and relived. He was a whole bundle of emotions that I couldn't even begin to separate or understand yet.

Kaelyn burst through my door as soon as I stepped out of the bathroom wearing a freshly washed, flowing sundress that she lent me after my shower. It was the most comfortable I had felt in days. I was finally clean again.

She smiled at me and clasped her hands together excitedly. "He's here. One of the wolves spotted him just north of here. He'll arrive at any moment. Are you ready to see him?"

My heart leaped. "Always," I whispered. "I'm always ready."

And it was true. That's why without any other words I rushed from the room with energy brimming just under my skin. I couldn't wait for him to find me. I would find him first.

I followed my instincts to the a side door of the house that lead to a huge fenced in side yard, with a huge iron gate with a wolf's head mounted on the front. It looked like something straight out of a horror movie and yet it was so beautiful all at the same time.

I pushed my way past it and let it clink shut behind me. The cool blades of grass between my toes didn't even deter me from my mission.  At that point I felt him even closer than before and my wolf nearly leaped out of my chest. Any minute now he would make an appearance just over the hillside and I would be here waiting.

A soft wind blew, throwing his scent all around me around. He was right there. And that's when I saw him. But not just him, he wasn't alone. Beside him were Alpha Clint, and Dorian. And directly behind them spread out in a large mass were the rest of Kieran's best fighters. As soon as Leland saw me, his eyes lit up and Kieran's soon followed.

And that's when he leaped from his wolf form into his human one and ran at me at full speed. One would think he was about to run me over if they didn't know him. When he was just a breath's distance apart we threw our arms around each other and our mouths met.

His lips burned mine with the heat of a passion burning with intensity from each other's absence. His wolf had missed me as much as mine had missed him and it was enthralling to experience. He lifted me off the ground in one swift motion and spun me around and then with one more quick, but intense, kiss he sat me back down.

I let my hands travel down his bare torso and soon to his biceps and I gripped them tight. I didn't ever want to let this man go ever again.

"Claire," he breathed resting his head against mine. It was enough to send shivers down my spine and back.

"I love you," I told him in response. "I love you so much."

"I can't even begin to tell you how much I love you. I love you so much I lost myself.  My wolf lost it, Claire. Without you..." He could even bring himself to finish the sentence. He winced in pain.

"Shh," I told him, bringing my hands up to cup his face. "I'm here now and we'll never be sep..."

My voice faltered when I saw the blood on my hands and now on his face. It was wet and sticky and my nostrils filled with a coppery scent that made my stomach roll. And that's when I noticed the rest of the wolves too.