Chapter 27

Chapter 27

From the distance, I could hear the start of the ceremony or the practicing. I still had some time yet before everything began. The music played softly in the background while people milled about talking and laughing, taking it all in. I looked up at the large concrete walls that surrounded the compound, my mind running rampant with ideas to get us out of here.

I already knew we couldn’t rightly just walk out the front of the compound unseen or unspotted. Mating ceremony or not, Axel wasn’t stupid. He’d have some wolves still on guard.

No one would suspect anything though until I didn’t show up. By then, it would too late. I hoped.

Next to me Wyatt shifted, his eyes trained on the high wall in front of us. I was quite in awe of it myself. I’d never really gotten close enough to them to know the walls even existed. I’d never been able to roam around on my own long enough.

Besides the fact the walls were designed to keep us in, they had a certain amount of safety to them. It also kept things out. Besides Axel, there were far more things in these woods to be afraid of. The rabids were just one of the things among others.

I shivered at the thought and caused Wyatt to look at me.

“Have second thoughts?” he wondered aloud.

I shook my head. “Not at all. Just thinking about everything that’s out there.”

He nodded and turned his attention back toward the concrete and block mass. “That’s enough to give anyone second thoughts. Try not to think about it. I’ll be with you. I won’t let any harm come to you. Kieran would kill me if I did. It’s my job to protect you.”

His words comforted me slightly, but I still couldn’t shake the feeling that this escape would not be as easy as all that. There would be some complications along the way.

“How long do you think the journey will be? How far away is Perilous Pack?” I asked. I was almost afraid to know the answer despite the need to.

Wyatt met my eyes with apprehension as if he hadn’t expected me to ask.

“I can handle it, Wyatt. Nothing is going to change my mind.”

Again he looked back at the wall. “It’s not a quick trip by my standards and I’m used to spending days at a time in the woods. If we walk it’ll be much slower and Axel and his wolves may very well catch up to us.”

I knew he was referring to the Emma, the little girl that I insisted come with us. And maybe he meant me too. I couldn’t be in my wolf from until I spaced myself away from Daniel, until he no longer could control my instinct.

“We can do it. It’ll be hard, but we can,” I said. I think I needed to hear myself say it more than Wyatt.

“You’ll need to pack some supplies and food for the girl. If she refuses to shift she probably won’t want to sleep and eat like a wolf. As for us, we’ll be fine. We can hunt our food and sleep on the ground. We’re more used to this life than she is.”

“I have it covered. Celia packed us a couple of bags. They should be easy enough for us to run with them on, even in our wolf forms.”

Wyatt let out a slow, steady breath and the silence lingered between us for a few minutes, then he faced me. “None of this is going to be easy. We’ll be running for days, possibly a couple of weeks if we don’t shift. It’s going to be rough on our bodies and we’ll be tired and irritated and you might feel like giving up sometimes.”