Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I woke with a stirring that was very unfamiliar to me. My chest heaving from my heavy breaths and my body drenched in sweat. I sat up in bed quickly trying to regain my breath.

The room was dark, but with my werewolf sight I was still able to see somewhat. I reached for the lamp on the nightstand and switched it on. With my arm I wiped away the residue that had formed on my head and looked to the body rising and falling soundly beside me. Kieran seemed to be completely at rest while my mind was still reeling from my dream.

It was so vivid I could recall every touch and tingle on my body. His hot breath on my skin, the little love bites. My thoughts it me like a ton of bricks.

Even in my just awoken state I still yearned for him. 

I began to panic. I knew I needed to get away from him before something really bad happened that I could never take back. I mentally wasn’t ready to mate my mate but my body was saying something completely different. I was in turmoil with myself.

I forced myself to the bathroom, fighting the pull I had to Kieran. Every part of me wanted to run back to him, but I couldn’t allow myself to do that.

Closing the bathroom door I slid down to the floor and brought my knees to my chest. I rested my head against them.

What am I going to do? I thought. My wolf needed her mate and she was driving me crazy.

My eyes drifted to the shower and an idea hit me. Don’t people normally take showers where they are in similar situations like mine and can’t do anything about it? It was suppose to kill the need.

Well it certainly wouldn’t hurt to find out.

After the shower I wasn’t any better off than I was before. I was wet and cold and still wanted my mate. Nothing was going to help me here.

If only I had a distraction.

Again the pull worsened and it nearly dragged me to the door. Desire coursed through me and my body tingled everywhere.

I froze when a knock came to the door.

Kieran was awake. 

“Claire?” he called. “Are you okay?”

His voice sounded strained and it puzzled me. Was something wrong with him too?

“Y-yeah, I’m fine. I was just taking a shower.”

His voice revealed his puzzlement. “At two A.M?”

He knew something was up and I didn’t know how to respond. There wasn’t a good enough reason for why I had locked myself up in the bathroom to escape him.

After a short silence he spoke up again, this time with a stronger tone. “You had the dream didn’t you?”

He knew about the dream? How?

“I had it too,” he added answering my unspoken question.

Oh. Then he knew exactly what was bothering me; down to every last detail.

“Is that normal?” I asked trying to keep my voice from giving away how I felt.

“Yes. It’s our wolves. It starts with the dream and then they start controlling our thoughts. It only gets worse until we complete the mating process. It’s the last thing that happens before our wolves give in to each other.”