Chapter 26

Chapter 26

                The wind blew through Claire’s loose, blond strands, making her hair whip around her like a silk blanket offering her it’s smooth comfort.

                Wyatt, the boy standing just a short distance from her watched her carefully, waiting for her to run at him, attack him, try to make him pay for what she deemed at traitorous behavior, but she made no move. She only stared at him with open and unashamed contempt.

                He couldn’t hide the hurt her bitterness and scorn brought him, and for a moment she thought he was Just Wyatt again and not the Wyatt who turned on his pack and brought Tobias there.

“I have to talk to you,” he said. “You have to know the truth.”

                He walked toward her, slowly, carefully, like she was a wild animal that would attack him given the wrong move. “Claire, listen to me. I know you probably have tons of questions for me right now and I promise to answer them all, just let me explain-”

                With loud smack against the boy’s left cheek, his eyes widened in surprise at the girl who’d slapped him. There was already a red mark forming along his smooth, peachy skin, the heat from the impact burning as a reminder of what he’d done.

                He grabbed at his cheek and rubbed the searing burn her hand had left, their eyes locked. His look of surprise was gone as quickly as it had come, and in its place was understanding. “I guess I deserved that.” He sighed and took a step back from her. “But I promise I can explain this if you’ll listen to me. Kieran-”

                Claire smacked him again, this time harder and more forceful. She didn’t let the little bit of distance put between them stop her from displaying her anger.

                “Don’t you ever speak his name again! You don’t deserve to say it. You are a liar and a traitor and what you’ve done to him is unforgivable. I trusted you. He trusted you. And now you’ve betrayed us both. That’s punishable by death.”

                Claire lifted her hand into a fist and was getting ready to land a blow to his face only this time he saw it coming and made a move to stop her by trapping her hand in his fist before it could make contact with his skin.

                “Would you just listen to me for a minute?” he shouted in frustration. “It’s not what you think.”

                Not hearing him she lifted her other hand to do what he’d stopped her from and meet the same end. He’d grabbed her other fist now and he wasn’t letting her go.

                “Wyatt, let me go,” she ground out between her teeth.

                “Look,” he said. “I can’t tell you what’s going on now. Not here and not now. It’s too risky. I just need you to trust me and meet me tonight, Okay? I promise I’ll tell you everything you want to know.”

She laughed bitterly. “You’re kidding me, right? You really expect me to just hand over my trust to you, no questions asked? If so, you’re dumber than I thought.”

Claire began pulling roughly to free her arms from Wyatt’s grasp on her, but he was unrelenting. He wouldn’t let her, not until he had want he wanted; her trust.

“You have too, Claire. You just have to, okay? If you won’t do it for me, do it for him. Whatever I do, I need you to just go with it.”