Chapter 31

Chapter-31

I was awoken by a soft knock on the door. Sleep didn't come as easy now days. The slightest disturbances woke me without much effort. Lana and Keely were both there looking at me with happy, relieved smiles when I stumbled to open the door. Seeing them both there in front of me again almost broke me. I hadn't realized how much I missed them until now.

"Hey," Keely said softly, stepping in with Lana as I moved back from the door to let them in.  Lana scooped me up in a quick tight hug before I could close the door. I returned it with a tighter hug of my own. When she let go I let out a sound somewhere between a laugh and a cry.

"How did it go yesterday?" Keely asked tentatively. Her hands were fidgety, her usual confidence waning.

I slowly blinked the sleep from my eyes and took a seat in one of the room's stuffed, pin stripped chairs. I picked at a lose thread on the arm as I considered her question. I had tried not to think too much about yesterday. Dr. Heath had been kind and respectful to me in his questioning and mental evaluation, but the shameful truth was it hurt my pride.

I understood Kieran only did what he thought was right for me and the pack. He was protecting me too, but sometimes I had to remind myself of that. I glanced at the carefully made side of the bed where Kieran slept and realized he never came to bed last night; probably for my sake. His wolf must be going crazy. This was nothing new.

"It was fine."

"So," Lana started. "Are you okay? I-I mean did Heath clear you?"

I sighed. And here it was; the truth. I knew I couldn't avoid it for long. "I'm okay," I said. "But Heath wants to see me a couple of times a week as sort of a mental therapy session."

"But he doesn't think you're any danger to the pack?" Keely asked.

I looked down. "No. Just to myself."

Lana let out a harsh breath. "What?"

"They think you're going to hurt yourself?" Keely shrieked.

I shrugged. "I suppose after a traumatic experience like I've just been through, it is possible."

"But, you're not, right?" Keely asked.

Lana hit her on the shoulder. "Of course she isn't. She wouldn't do that."

No, I wouldn't. And I wish I could tell them the reason why.

"Hey," I stood up suddenly. "You two want to go for a run?"

"What, now?" Lana blinked, peering out the window.

"All this talk about my mental stability is bumming me out. I just want to go out and run and enjoy my freedom for once." I paced across the floor and picked out a swimsuit from among my clothes. "Come on. I want to go to the swimming hole."

They both exchanged surprised looks, but they quickly vanished and were replaced by wide smiles. "Go get your suits," I said.

I raced Lana and Keely through the woods, taking in every sight and smell and touch that I could. I jumped over some brush and rock and logs, breathed in the fresh air and welcomed the rush of air through my fur. Today, here in the woods with my friends, I felt truly free.

No Dr. Heath today. No questing, No studying eyes and no looks of pity. If everyone kept looking at me like I was broken, then I would never stop believing I wasn't. I just needed some normalcy in my life again.

Lana came up on me quick and leaped in front, never slowing her pace. She let out a bark of laughter. I had a feeling that since my disappearance things around here had been tense and I wondered how long it had been since they did something as freeing as this.