Covers

Let's start with the basics. The vitality of a decent cover.

I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but we all have to admit, sometimes we do. So for people to want to click on your story and read it, you're going to need a nice cover. I'm guilty of settling for crappy covers, so it's kind of hypocritical for me to say this, but COVERS ARE EVERYTHING! If you were choosing between a book with just the title in basic Arial font on the front, and one with cool images of the characters and a cool font for the title, which one would you pick?

That's what I thought.

You may not be good at making covers, but that's what cover shops are for. Or books that give tips on cover making. You have these resources, use them! I know of multiple great cover shops and cover making tip books that I always go to when I'm almost ready to hit that little orange publish button, and it's so easy. You just have to fill in a form and wait for your beautiful cover to be done, or read a book and voila! Problem solved. I'll link a couple good ones at the end of the chapter.

There's also plenty of apps like Canva, Desynger, Moldiv, Phonto, and so many more. They're 

Now you may be thinking, "How does a nice cover boost my reads?"

Well, like I said before, people do judge a book by its cover, to a certain extent, at least. And as an added bonus, the nice cover shows that you care enough about your work to put in the effort to have a good cover.

And even if some readers don't care, some do. Nothing bad can come from having a better cover, right? It just might attract some readers that a not-so-good cover wouldn't. Like me, for example. I sometimes skip over stories that have covers that are just the title on a boring white background for ones with cool, intense covers. 

Also, if you have a good cover, you can catch the reader's eye, making them read your description, possibly hooking them so they read your story. If you have a good description, of course, but we'll get to that later. Again, nothing bad can come from having a nice cover. Stories with attractive covers get 20x more reads than those without. So please, please use a nice cover.

Hope this was useful-ish!

-Lucy

Cover shops:

@IndigoKnight_'s cover shop - https://www.wattpad.com/story/255376066-cover-shop-open 

@NattKuznetsov's cover shop - https://www.wattpad.com/story/259960534-cover-shop

Cover tip books:

@-voidallison's book - https://www.wattpad.com/story/51888406-book-cover-tips

@styleslight's book - https://www.wattpad.com/story/79519122-cover-tips

@gallerias' book - https://www.wattpad.com/story/90721902-cover-tutorial

P.S. - If the link isn't working just copy and paste it into a web browser, or use the usernames.