The x Ball x Scene

(A/N: finally, after fixing up every single chapter, I've come around to writing this small yet semi-important scene. If you're a fan of this story, go ahead and reread it from chapter one- you'll definitely notice lots of changes! Hopefully 😭. This takes place on the airship before the Third Phase, by the way.)

"Gon, you're gonna suffocate me!" Killua complained, trying to get some breathing air. The spiky-haired boy laughed, releasing us. "Ah... I can finally breathe again..." I sighed, leaning against the wall.

There were a few moments of peaceful silence. I looked out the window, lost in thought. He's like an angel who's too sweet for his own good. "Thanks, Angel," I murmured, saying it out loud without realizing. He looked confused. "En... gel?"
"It's, uh... a word from my native language."
He beamed. "Cool! What does it mean?"
"It's not engal, Gon, it's angel. A-n-g-e-l."
"Aun-gul."
"It's ang- You know what, never mind."
"So, what's it mean?"

I smiled. "That's a secret."
"It means reckless idiot," Killua said, grinning. "You little- No it does not!" I uttered.
"Hey, I'm not that reckless!" Gon insisted.
"Well, you are, but that's still not what it means."
Killua sighed. "Yeah, you got me... It actually means hotheaded klutz."
"K- klutz?"
"Killua, I swear to God-"

殺気.

Bloodlust.

I whipped around to look at the corner of the hall. Apparently, the other two noticed as well, because the arguing had come to a halt, and the lighthearted atmosphere was gone. Someone just moved right in front of me. Not to mention, it was so fast that all I saw was a blur.

I didn't even have to go after the culprit, because the chairman suddenly walked out from the opposite side of the hall. "Something wrong?" he asked, the clacking of his sandals echoing in the empty halls. Seriously? It was this old dude? But he looks so frail...

"Um... Netero-san... you didn't see anyone coming from over there, did you?" Gon asked, breaking the silence. He pointed at the other end of the hallway. "Not at all," the old man replied. Killua narrowed his eyes. "You're pretty fast for an old man." I guess he caught it too.
"Oh... that little trick? All I did was move a little." Oh, so it was him after all. Is he the grandpa version of the Flash or something?

Gon was confused at the tense mood as Netero and Killua held some sort of staring contest. "Is there something you need from us?" I asked. He's one of the good guys, right? I don't remember much other than that strange vision of him with one arm and one leg missing, standing in this hall of golden light... Jeez, that's so weird. Was my memory wrong?

"I want to make a proposal," he said.
"A proposal?"
He held up a black and yellow ball. "Let's play a game. If you can take this ball from me, you'll automatically become a hunter."
Killua huffed. "What's the catch?"
"There is no catch."

Then I guess... I shot forwards, reaching for the ball. I should get started right away. To me, the game had started as soon as the old man said, "If you can take this ball from me..."

I closed my hand around the rubbery surface. Then, within the blink of an eye, I was on the other side of the hallway. I slowly stood up and turned around, glowering at Netero. How is that old man so damn fast? He held up the ball and laughed amusedly. "Ho ho, that was a close one."
Gon blinked. "Aki? When did you..."

"If we're gonna play, let's go to the gym first," Netero said, walking away. Killua sighed as the three of us followed him. "Nice try. I guess that old man's a lot stronger than he looks," he said, putting his hands behind his head.
"Argh, I was so close! I even had my hand on the ball," I groaned.
"Don't worry, it's three against one!" Gon said optimistically.