Ninja x and x Ninjutsu

I gritted my teeth, clenching my free hand. "Damn you... damn you, Hisoka," I muttered, looking at the cards laid out in front of me. A 3 of spades, queen of hearts, and 7 of diamonds for my side. And a king of clubs, a jack of diamonds, and a 10 of hearts for the clown bastard.

We'd gone to war after drawing the same card- both aces. And I couldn't afford to give up my last ace. "Looks like I win this war," he said with a smirk, scooping all of my precious cards into his pile. I cursed him under my breath, glancing at the few cards I had left.

**✿❀ time skip ❀✿*

I sighed in defeat, leaning back and tossing my cards back to Hisoka. Has it been one day yet? "You win again, clown bastard."
"It was quite the entertaining game," he said, wearing the same annoying grin as usual. "Yeah yeah, you can go away now. At least I haven't died of boredom. Yet," I said, shooing him away.

There were a few other applicants here now. I only recognized a couple of them. And they were all staring at Hisoka and me with either stunned or wary looks. Ah... they must be wondering why I'm playing cards with someone like him. I asked myself the same question as well. They'd understand if they were trapped here as long as I was.

I ignored them, instead wondering when those four would get here. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember if they passed this phase or not from the show, but with their skill, I was 100% sure they would make it.

...Okay, maybe 95%. Or 89%...

Anyway, they were protagonists! There would be practically no point if they failed here. They had plot armor! Hence my faith in them. I had to admit though, I was getting a little worried. I think it's been a day, but I couldn't be sure without any reliable sources. All I could do for now was hope they would make it.

One of the doorways shifted open again, and a bald man in bomb-like armor ran through. "Yes, first pla-!"
"Applicant 294, Hanzo. Eighth place."
"What?!" Grumpily, he surveyed the room. With wide eyes, I made eye contact with him. A ninja. He looks like a ninja.

Blurry memories came back to me again. Hanzo, the ninja. The ninja! Now I remembered him. I always liked ninjas. That's why my favorite childhood show was Ninjago. That's also why Hanzo was one of my favorite characters when I watched Hunter x Hunter as a kid, even though he didn't get much screen time. I also liked him because he wasn't one of the creepy or mean characters. He was nice, which was rare.

Sighing, he slid down against one of the walls. Immediately, I was sitting in front of him. "You're Hanzo, right?"
Startled, he looked up. "Uh... yeah, that's me. Why?"
I glanced around. "You're a ninja, right?" I whispered. He perked up. "I'm surprised you can tell."
My eyes lit up. "That's so cool. Are you strong?"

He was taken aback at first, and then a grin stretched across his face. "Of course I am! I betcha I can beat anyone in a fight here! Ah... except for maybe Hisoka," he lowered his voice.
"That's understandable. Anyway, do you have a katana?"
"Not with me right now. I have other weapons, though they're all concealed."
"Do you have kunai?"
"Yep. They're essential for a ninja."
"Do you know spinjitzu?"
"Spin-what? I dunno what that is, but I practice ninjutsu."

"Ni- ninjutsu?" I leaned forwards, excited. "That legendary martial art... Are you from Jappon?"
"That's where I grew up and learned it. It's the home country of ninjutsu and the ninja. Are you from Jappon as well? You seem to know a little about ninjutsu. It's not a widely-practiced or even known martial art, not even in Jappon."
"Ah... you could say that. So can you disappear in a puff of smoke?"
"Well, I do have smoke bombs."

I put my hands together. I've made a decision. "Will you please teach me ninjutsu, Ninja Master Sensei?"
Hanzo laughed heartily. "It's not something you can learn in a few days or weeks, kid. It takes years. And what's up with that title...?"
"That's okay! I'm willing to train for years!"
He frowned. "I like your dedication, but why do you want to learn ninjutsu so badly? And why from me?"
I looked up. "I've always thought ninjas were super cool. And I admire you a lot because you're cool and strong."

He faltered and then laughed, his ego inflating. "You're flattering me! What's your name, kid?"
"It's Aki!"
"Like I said before, Aki-kun, ninjutsu is rarely practiced in Jappon. This is because it's incredibly difficult to master and requires a proper teacher. I myself am still perfecting it, which is why I'm taking the Hunter Exam. It requires strong will and undying determination. Do you have both of those?"
"Not sure about the first, but I have the second one."
"I appreciate your honesty. By looking at your eyes, I can already tell that you're strong. Get even stronger and then come back to me. See if you still want to learn ninjutsu. And then I might take on a pupil."

I nodded seriously. "Yes, Sensei!"
He laughed again. "Quit calling me Sensei when I haven't taught you anything yet."
"Sorry, Sensei!"