The x Great x Whale

My heart pounded nervously as I walked up the steps. My dish looked presentable enough- at least, I hoped it did. I'd roasted the meat over a flame until it was the right color after cutting the inedible parts off and covering it with the rub I'd made. After that, I'd poured the tangy sauce on it and put it on a plate. The pork was surrounded by frilly lettuce and small sun-dried tomatoes as decoration. I didn't know what else I could use.

So far, no one had passed the test yet. Menchi was failing everyone who came up without even tasting most of their dishes while Buhara just passed everyone. I was too focused on not burning the meat, so I didn't know if my friends even went yet. I was probably one of the last contestants though.

I carefully put the plate down. "I hope you enjoy it," I said, trying for a smile. Menchi looked at the pork with a scrutinizing expression while Buhara simply took a bite. He grinned and held up a sign with a green circle- one examiner down, one more to go. I was already expecting a pass from him, though. I literally saw the guy eat burnt pork and pass it.

Finally, Menchi grabbed her fork with a sigh and took a bite. Silence. I waited nervously. If I failed now, I wouldn't remember what half of this show was about, and I'd have to wait until next year to take it again- but by then, all the phases would've changed, and I'd also be dealing with different people. In other words, this was my only chance.

Menchi finished chewing and swallowed. A thoughtful look crossed her face. Then, she held up a sign with a green circle.

My eyes widened. I passed! "Thank you Menchi, Buhara!" I said, elated. "I should be the one thanking you. Finally, an edible meal... It's not the best, but compared to all those other dishes... They haven't even been good enough to taste until now!" Menchi complained. "Go wait in the room behind us. Everyone who passes goes there," she said, jabbing a thumb behind her. I nodded and walked into the back, wondering who else was there.

I stopped after closing the door. There's... no one... Are you kidding me? She failed everyone else? Was that even allowed? But that meant Gon wouldn't be able to find his dad... and Leorio and Kurapika probably had their own reasons, and I guess Killua didn't really want to become a hunter, but still... Something's wrong. There's no way it'll end like this. I paled. Did I already mess up the plot line?

As I was deep in thought, there was a sudden commotion outside. Should I go out? Or wait here? A few minutes passed, and I nervously paced the room.

"Hey, kid." Menchi's head suddenly popped into the room. "Y- yeah?" I straightened. She looks a bit upset... or am I imagining things? "We're all going somewhere else by airship. The chairman's here, and he ordered for the Second Phase to be redone," she said. Redone? So the others will have an actual chance? I couldn't help but smile. So it'll turn out alright after all.

I followed her into the airship that was outside, parked next to the forest. Woah, it's gigantic... Everyone else must've already been inside. I've never been on an airship before, I thought in awe, staring at the ship. It's like being on the inside of a blue whale.

"By the way, what's your name?" Menchi asked.
"Oh, it's Aki."
She hummed as we walked.

"Aki!" a voice called. I glanced down the hall and saw Gon and Killua waiting. "See you later," Menchi said, smiling. I waved and returned the smile, running down the hall to meet up with them.

She's a bit of a strange one, Menchi thought as she watched the girl run down the hall to her friends. There's something in her eyes, a sense of wisdom that feels amiss. Almost like she doesn't belong here, and she knows it. On top of that, she's come into contact with 44 and made friends with 403, 404, 405, and 99. I've been keeping my eye on 44, 404, and 99. Their auras are... unique. They must be monitored at all times. Honestly, though... who is she?

Menchi grinned, dismissing her thoughts. Whoever she is, I have a feeling she'll grow up to be an amazing hunter.

With that, the gourmet hunter turned around swiftly and began walking in the opposite direction.