The x Hunt x Ends

From high up in the treetops, I watched a plain-looking man walk nervously through the forest. A triumphant smile graced my lips. "Found you."

I jumped off of the branch, landing in front of the man. He yelped, placing a protective hand over his pocket. So that's where it is. This is too easy! The fear in his eyes seemed to fade slightly as the dust cleared. "Oh... What do you know, it's just a brat," he muttered.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "You took forever to find! It's been days. Where have you been camping?" Ignoring me, his eyes trailed down to the badge on my sweater. "This must be my lucky day. My target dropped down right in front of me," he said, smirking. I'm his target too? "Listen up kid, if you hand over your pin without trying to put up a fight, I'll let you go unscathed," he offered, stepping forwards.

I almost laughed, but I covered my mouth quickly. "Really?" I asked with the most childish doe eyes I could summon. He nodded, staring at my badge greedily. "Then here you go," I said innocently, pulling off my pin and handing it over. Only to take it back at the last second and disappear from his view. He blinked, stunned and confused. "What the...?"

Suddenly, he crumpled to the ground, unconscious after a quick chop. "Thank you..." I knelt down and pulled his badge off, "...for the badge," I said with a grin, storing it away safely.

At least I managed to find my target in time, I thought to myself as I walked away, making my way up a particularly tall tree. Once I reached the top, I smiled, taking in the beautiful view of the lush island. The blue sea sparkling in the distance, the rustling of the leaves... Now that I've completed my goal, it's a lot easier to relax. I still have one objective left, though. I can't let anyone take these badges from me. So I'll have to sneak around quietly on my way back.

I scanned the island below. Now where was that beach we were supposed to meet up at? I spotted a small cluster of people standing on the shore to my right. Oh, there it is.

I quickly made my way towards the meeting spot, eager to reunite with everyone else. It's been a whole week, after all. If that clown bastard so much as laid a finger on Gon, I'll burn all of his cards and then kill him. I don't care how strong he is.

As the trees grew less and less dense, I could finally make out the remaining applicants, as well as a familiar head of silvery-white hair.

"Oh, Aki. Did you find your target?" Killua asked, placing his hands in his pockets. "Or did you have to get three other badges?" I grinned, holding up my target's badge. "I managed to find him. I was starting to get worried, since there wasn't much time left. He's probably waking up right now."

Killua hummed, turning around. "Now there's just those three left." Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember how they passed or when they got here, just that they did. Something about a cave and snakes, I think. But that didn't make much sense, did it?

**✿❀ time skip ❀✿*

"It's almost over... where are they?" I asked frustratedly, frowning and staring at the large, dark forest. "They might not have made it," Killua muttered, trying to hide his disappointment. "No, they did..."
"Huh?" He glanced at me, confused. "What do you mean, they did?" I suddenly realized my slip-up. "I- I mean they will. People like them wouldn't lose so easily, you can tell they have a lot ahead of them," I lied, sweatdropping.
"Well... I guess so, yeah."

Suddenly, as the ship stopped next to the harbor, I saw the figures of three people running towards us. Is it...?

"Killuaaa! Akiii!" Gon's voice called, and I sighed in relief. "Gon, you idiot, you took forever! Kurapika, Leorio, what happened?" I asked. Leorio laughed nervously, rubbing the back of his head. "Well... we kind of got trapped in a cave full of venomous snakes, and barely got out in time, all thanks to Gon. We all got all of our targets though," he said with a grin and a thumbs up, showing off their target's pins.

"If it weren't for Gon, we wouldn't be here," Kurapika said thankfully, glancing at the dark-haired boy. A cave and snakes? Looks like my memories were correct. "What's up with you guys arriving at the last second again?" Killua asked, smirking. I laughed, recalling the Third Phase.

The remaining applicants began to board the ship, showing their target's badges to pass. So... I glowered upon seeing Hisoka. The clown bastard made it... I was hoping he'd fail. Damn. In all, exactly nine people were still participating- the clown bastard, Illumi, Sensei, Pokkle, Gon, Killua, Kurapika, Leorio, and me.

Looks like the five of us successfully made it past this round. After this, there's only one more phase left, I thought grimly, gazing up at the full moon.

"Gon, what happened with Hisoka?" I asked.
"Oh yeah, I've been dying to know how you got his badge," Killua added. Gon frowned. "It's kind of frustrating. I was tailing him the entire time and finally managed to grab his badge, when he was distracted. But Geretta shot me down and took it..."
"Geretta?"
"The huntsman."
"But then Hisoka appeared and knocked down Geretta, and then gave me his badge back. It doesn't make sense. I told him to take it back, and then he said..." Gon's eyes glinted. "...He said to give it back once I was able to land a proper hit on him."

I glanced at Hisoka, who was on the other end of the boat. He smiled at me. I glared at him. "Did he hurt you?"
"No, not at all. That's what made me so frustrated. He clearly doesn't see me as worth fighting... so now I feel like I've cheated."
"That's not true," Killua said. "Besides, you need to pass the exam to find your dad, right? Just take win and don't be so stubborn."
"I agree with Killua. The important thing is that we all advanced. Let's just keep going like this."
Hesitantly, Gon nodded. "Okay."