The x Second x Phase

A rumbling sound was suddenly heard beneath our feet. "What the-" I didn't get to finish my sentence before something big and slimy swallowed us whole, making my surroundings pitch black. Only a few seconds passed before I heard the sound of a can opening and I felt my body being pushed forwards quickly.

I got the feeling that something spat us out before I could finally see again. Behind us, there was a giant frog wading away. I paled. "Gross, I got frog saliva on me," I grumbled, standing up and wiping myself off. "I guess it didn't like the taste of us," Gon said sheepishly. "No, it was this stuff," Killua said, and tossed an empty orange can into the pool of saliva. One of the cans Tonpa was giving away? So that's what that popping noise was.

"We should hurry up if we don't want to get left behind," I said, and the other two nodded. We began to run through the thick trees and fog. Seriously, the fog was unbelievable. I could hardly see three feet in front of me. "We'd better get a break after this. I want a shower too- I don't want to smell like frog guts for the rest of the exam," I complained. Killua sighed. "Just be thankful you're not dead yet. I bet half the others are."

"I'm worried about Leorio and Kurapika. We haven't seen them in a while... Do you think they're okay?" Gon asked nervously. "They'll be fine, you know how they are. There's no way they would get tricked so easily. Although... I can't be so sure with Leorio," I muttered. Killua seemed to agree. "Kurapika can probably keep him in check. He seems levelheaded."
"They're like polar opposites," I noted.

As Killua and I were complaining about Leorio, I turned around to say something to Gon. "Don't you think so t-" The idiot wasn't there. I groaned. "That idiot, he's too nice for his own good. He's gonna get himself killed," I groaned. I can't let the protagonist (and my newfound friend) die.

Killua stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I think he'll be fine. Honestly, he's one of the strongest people I've seen out of everyone else here. That's a pretty big deal. Besides, you don't even know where he went." I frowned, and we continued jogging. Killua was right. I didn't have a super nose like Gon, so I couldn't sniff him out or anything. I'd only get lost if I tried to look for him.

"He'll die either way, 'cause if he makes it, I'll kill him just for leaving like that..." I muttered. Killua looked amused.

**✿❀ time skip ❀✿*

"Ow!" Gon whined. A lump formed after I'd thwacked his head. "What were you thinking, Gon? That clown bastard could've killed all three of you! At least take me with you, or let us know you even left!" I scolded. "Hehe, sorry..." he apologized sheepishly. "It's not, 'Hehe, sorry!' It's 'Yes, Aki-sama, I promise to never do that again!'" He shrunk as I lectured him, sitting on his knees. "Yes, Aki-sama, I promise to never do that again..." Behind us, the other three tried their best not to laugh.

I whipped around to face them, still in demon lecturing mode. "And you, Leorio! I can't believe you actually charged Hisoka with a pitiful twig and thought you could even graze him!"
"It was more of a branch-"
"I'm still talking!"
I took a deep breath. "Point is, both of you, don't be so stupid and reckless." I sighed, shaking my head. "Honestly, Kurapika and Killua are the only sensible ones here."

Leorio and Gon began to whisper to each other. "Girls are scary..."
"Yeah, I thought she turned into a demon for a second... I think I saw fire in her eyes..."
An irk mark appeared over my head. "I can hear you!"

Kurapika and Killua began to laugh. "You remind me of a doting mother, or an older sister," the blond said with a smile. "That's a good thing, right?" I asked. He nodded. "Definitely. It means you care a lot."
I laughed. "Well, if Gon's life was in danger, I would've been concerned, but Leorio's already halfway to the grave-"
"HEY!"