Chapter Two - Silnce in the Morning

Grant Page woke up early that next morning. It was a Sunday so he didn't have classes to attend. He grabbed his bag with his schoolwork and hurried to the great hall to quickly grab himself a piece of toast before he would go see Camille. He turned into the doors of the great hall and found himself face to face with none other than the eccentric Luna Lovegood.

"Oh good morning Grant what are you doing up this early?" She asked in her wistful tone.

He stammered for a second before responding. "I- I'm just getting something to eat before I go see Camille." He rung his hands together trying calm his nerves. He and Camille had been good friends since their second year. She always saw him as a brother figure. He was just really worried for the poor girl.

"I understand. Give her my best" and with that she skipped off with a seeming destination, Grant had no clue where. He headed for the Ravenclaws table. Looking around he noticed that there was only a few students up this early in the morning. Most of which were the Huffelpuff early birds who still seemed to be in a great mood at 6 in the morning.

After buttering a couple pieces of toast he quickly stopped at the library and grabbed Camille's favorite book, a muggle mystery book that her father had given to her for birthday just two years ago. Grant figured that it was her favorite because she read it every chance she got. And every time she would tell him something knew she had figured out. She loved mystery.

He reached the hospital wing and immediately spotted Camille asleep on one of the beds lining the South wall. He figured she would be asleep for a couple of hours so this gave him time to work on his history of magic essay that was assigned earlier that week. He sat in one of the chairs beside her bed and observed her sleeping state. "Morning Camille" he whispered softly not wanting to wake her.

———

After about an hour Camille woke up with a start. She was breathing heavily after a horrid nightmare. She had been falling, just falling for what felt like forever.

"Hey Camille, it's ok. What's wrong what happened?" Grant spoke quickly worried she might be in pain. He put a hand on her shoulder and asked again. "What's wrong?"

Camille just registered what had happened. She noticed a hand on her shoulder and she realized where she was everything became more clear. I'm in the hospital wing. She thought to herself. I'm here because I fell. I'm not alone. Who is here with me? She looked to see who was the one touching her shoulder. She took a deep breath and relaxed realizing it was Grant, her guy best friend since second year. Shoot he had said something. What was it again? "What?" She asked meeting his worried gaze.

"Are you ok? What's wrong?" He repeated removing his hand from her shoulder.

Camille was confused for a second then realized she was sweaty and shaking. "I'm fine. It was just a nightmare" she explained while pushing herself onto her elbows and gradually sliding back to lean against the hospital beds headboard.

The two just sat in silence for a minute then Camille stated "I'm cold."

"What?"

"I said I'm cold. My feet are freezing" Camille repeated.

"Oh.. um here let me go get you another blanket" Grant stood and walked over to one of the other beds. He grabbed the scratchy blue blanket from that bed and brought it back to her bedside. "Um here" he placed the second blanket on top of Camille then sat back down.

Another uncomfortable silence filled the room. "Thanks" she said after a while.
Then Grant remembered he brought the book with him.

He reached into his bag and pulled out a book. Not unusual for the Ravenclaw boy. But what was unusual is that he handed the book straight to Camille. She looked at it confused. Until further examination when she saw the red printed letters on the black cover she realized what book she was holding. And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie. Her favorite book. "I didn't know you knew that this was my favorite." She explained opening the book.

"Of course I know my best friends favorite book! What type of person would I be if I didn't know your favorite book" Grant laughed. He then pulled out his own book with a smile.

Camille never told him that it was her favorite. She started reading the beautiful mystery. Just enjoying the company. Her and Grant just understood each other. And right now Grant understood that all Camille needed that minute was just someone to be there with her, for her. When she wanted to talk about it she would tell him. Grant just figured now he would just be there for her. And if that meant sitting in silence reading he would read for hours just with her to make her feel comfortable.

The silence wasn't awkward anymore but very comfortable and Camille could just bask in the enjoyable silence forever. But that peace and quiet was interrupted by a loud grumble coming from her stomach. She didn't realize till now how hungry she was. "Have you had breakfast yet?" She asked Grant while bookmarking her place.

"Yeah I have." the tall blonde admitted "Sorry I didn't think to bring you anything. Would you like to go get something to eat?"

Camille nodded. And just then madam Pumfrey glided by to check on the girl. "Oh how are you feeling Miss Sharp?"

"Just dandy" Camille stated sarcastically with a try at a cheerful tone. Which made Grant slightly snicker, she was always sarcastic, at least she was trying to be herself even if she was definitely miserable. It made him cheerful that she didn't loose herself like a lot of people do after such a tramatic experience.

The healer looked to Camille with a questioning look furrowing her eyebrows together. "Well if your 'just dandy' then I suppose you can go" Pumfrey informed. And Camille perked up.

"Can I really?!" She asked unbelieved her amber eyes showing hope.

"Yes, under one circumstance". Oh shoot this was the part she was dreaming. "You will need to drink this." The witch presented her with that same beige slush Camille had to force down her throat the night before. She groaned and snatched the cup forcing it down as quickly as possible. And then happily took the pumpkin juice provided after. "Oh and one more thing you will have to take that potion once a month. It will hopefully.." she hesitated for a second before continuing "return your ability to walk again. But I must encourage you to do those exercises I told you about they will help immensely with the healing process. And if you have any other problems please come to me as soon as possible."

Camille nodded reassuring her that she would come back if anything came up. The witch left after helping Camille change into some new clothes while Grant was somewhere else grabbing the wheelchair. He returned after Pumfrey pulled back the curtains and he helped her into the wheelchair. This is the stupidest thing. I can get into a wheelchair just fine on my own. I'm not completely useless. Camille thought, but kept her mouth shut with a small frown.

Grant had insisted on pushing Camille to the great hall and she was in no mood to complain so she let him. But before they could reach the door they were stopped. "Now don't forget you need to come back every month for that potion if you wish to try and walk again Miss Sharp" madam Pumfrey informed. Camille cringed at the thought of having to drink that crap every month but nodded I'm agreement nonetheless. And the two fourth years continued on their journey to find food.