Chapterish 54

[Quote Aesthetic of the Chapterish]

I fly onto the bottom deck, almost knocking the screen door from its hinges, and up the stairs to the mid-deck

I fly onto the bottom deck, almost knocking the screen door from its hinges, and up the stairs to the mid-deck. I find everyone is awake now and situated at the crescent bar that overlooks the back of the boat. Trix and Meg sip on purple daiquiris; Brody and Lauren watch something on her phone; Alex laughs at something Travis says.

All vestige of laughter evaporates as they see me speed-walking across the deck.

"Emmy!" I still hear Brooks shouting behind me, but he's still halfway up the stairs.

"Ems, come here," Brooks says, tugging on my arm to pull me across the deck. "Let's talk about this. Can we just-"

"No," I yell, trying to pull my arm free. My face is soaked with salty tears.

"YES!" Brooks shouts, looming over me like some formidable foe.

"Just hear me out!" Brooks is still attempting to lug me over to the side of the boat, farther away from the V curious ears of all our friends.

"NO! I won't do ANYTHING you say," I almost spit. Tears are drowning the deck right now.

Brody and Travis are on their feet now. Brody is two paces behind Brooks, who's still strongarming me from walking away.

"Let me GO!" I scream, smacking his bare chest with my arms.

100% chance of absolute destruction is brewing in his stormy eyes.

"Jay, get off her."

Brody appears at our side. He's almost as tall, but nowhere near as imposing as Brooks. Nevertheless, his presence is welcome. His black eye is a perfect reminder of Brooks's fickle volatility.

"Get off her? OFF HER?" Brooks's laughter sounds more like shrieking. "What do you think I'm going to do?"

Brooks's question is open to everyone, as by now every single one of MS's guests is slowing bridging the gap between the table and the spot at the railing where Brooks is still holding me by the arm.

Trix and Meg are staring, mouths open, beside Travis and Nate, neither of which look up to challenging Brooks.

"Let her go," Alex says, appearing at the front of the group.

Brooks yanks me closer to the edge of the railing and lowers his gaze to mine.

Brooks and I are the entertainment today. Screaming, head-on, competing to out-do each other.

"Let her go," Alex reiterates.

"Stay out of it!" Brooks growls.

I'm appreciating in this moment how this looks. How damning Brooks must look to everyone else.

"What's going on?" Trix is the first to speak, her voice walking on proverbial eggshells.

"FUCK!" Brooks screams before finally dropping his grasp on my arm.

I take a small step backwards to the spot on the deck between Brody and Alex.

"Let's get out of their way," Meg says, almost hesitantly, like she's unsure if she should leave me alone with Brooks.

"Nah, stay. Nothing you all won't hear anyway," I say.

"Want everyone to know our shit, then?" Brooks asks, warningly.

"Our shit?" I laugh. "What shit? That we were fake engaged? Or that you want to take a break now? Either way they'll find out soon enough!"

Yup, throat is definitely bloody.

"Emmy, for fuck's sake let's talk about this. Calmly, maybe?" Brooks asks, encroaching upon my personal space.

"I can't do it anymore. I CAN'T!" I choke on my own voice, my throat tightening. The tears are coming, salty like the rest of my skin.

"Say it then," Brooks spits at me. His words are harsh, antagonizing, like he's coaxing me into it. "Go on. Say it."

"I'm fucking done. DONE! I am fucking done with this. With you," I say it like a promise.

Trix and Meg both look sad for me, but I'm too livid to pay them any attention.

"Please," Brooks almost scoffs.

Where is this complete 180 coming from? It's the type of move only Brooks could pull off.

He takes a long stride across the wet deck to the empty space in front of me. Alex shifts protectively beside me. Brooks shoots him daggers before looking back at me.

"If I've heard it once I've heard it a thousand times. You'll never fucking leave," Brooks smiles cockily.

I can feel everyone else's eyes on us.

"FUCKING EXCUSE ME? I'll never fucking leave!?" I shout, my voice destroyed into one thousand pieces. Along with my heart, my integrity, my future. NBD.

"You can't leave me, or else you would have by now." Brooks's words are vile and disgusting. And I hate him more than I ever have before.

"Oh I can leave. I AM leaving." I shout, heading across the deck.

I almost knock Lauren down when I tear past her. Do NOT cry, Emmy.

"Keep telling yourself lies, go ahead," Brooks calls after me.

Audible gasps from the innocent bystanders.

"Lies?" I shriek. "Want to talk about lies? YOU were the biggest LIE I ever told myself!"

I stare up into his sea-drenched eyes and, my heart completely turned off, return his smile.

"Fuck YOU, Jay."

I am fathoms deep right now. Leagues deep. That's rock bottom to all you non-nautical peeps.

I'm still caught in the salty stupor of the Grand Bahamas.

Don't mind me.