Chapter One

I am walking down the street, loud music abusing my ear drums. I don't mind really as long is it's Chris Brown, I'll gladly sacrifice my auditory system. It's another lazy evening and here I am walking it away thinking about nothing in particular. I'm at peace, at school my grades are pleasing, attendance perfect.

At home, my parents are crazy about me, I don't blame them, I'm their only child. I've everything I need. I don't start any trouble at school, I'm not invisible but not outgoing either. I like to keep to myself most times and I eventually end up studying. I'm just happy with the life I have and I appreciate everything that's been given to me.

Friends. I don't think they're that necessary but yes I do have one friend, Yaya. I had a friend at some point, she accused me of having hit on her boyfriend. We cut ties almost immediately, I hated false accusations more than anything in the world. That's when I met Yaya. She's bubbly and ever smiling. She makes me happy. Thinking about her, I find myself smiling.

My eyes travel across the street where I see lights being turned on in the house opposite ours. It has been unoccupied since old Mrs. Gibson passed away. So I'm guessing the new buyers just moved in. Confirming my thoughts, I see a man heaving boxes from a Mover's truck and carrying them into the house. Two men in worksuits from the movers company emerge from the house after carrying the last of the boxes before they drive away.

I continue to walk turning into our drive way casting a few stolen glances over at our new neighbours. I reach for the door, turning the knob and walk inside. I remove my coat and hang it behind the door.

"Kelly is that you?!" My Mom calls from the kitchen.

"Yes, Ma!" I call out going into the kitchen.

"How was your walk?" She asks casually.

"Refreshing as always. What's for dinner?"

"Mac and cheese, spicy grilled lamp chops and my famous chicken mayo," she informs me wearing the big red oven gloves.

"Infamous you mean?" I teased.

"You'll sleep on an empty stomach young lady. Behave," she warned jokingly.

"I'll tell Daddy," I whine.

"Tell me what?" He appears by the kitchen door, a large volume book tucked under his armpit. His small glasses are resting on the bridge of his nose.

"Oh hey daddy, how are you?" I greet him with a smile which he automatically returns as if programmed to.

"I'm good my little princess. Honey," he says pecking Mom's cheek.

"The new neighbours from across the street just moved in," I inform my parents.

"Oh yes, I heard it's just a man and his 18 year old son. Mrs. Thatcher seems to have done a thorough job at investigating them," he says with a light chuckle.

"That woman, she is nosy. Never lets anything just pass by," my Mom comments.

"18? Just about the same age as me, I'm guessing he'll be attending Clover Bay high too," I say.

"I think so. Maybe you could be friends," Mom says.

"You know how I feel about friendships Ma," I tell her pulling out a chair and sitting right beside Dad.

"I was about to say that too. Honey, Kelly is just not social," my Dad backs me up.

"A little hi wouldn't hurt. I'm still baking them my special Apple pie as a welcome gift," dad and I just look at each other and shake our heads in unison.

We have our dinner as usual, chatting away happily. I wouldn't ask for anything more. I don't even see myself caring for anyone else apart from my parents and Yaya. After eating, I help mom clean up before I run up the stairs to my room. I do a bit of light reading for my Geography test the following day at school. By light reading I mean basically raid textbooks and the internet for information. I guess I'm just a nerd.

My alarm wakes me up from my much desired sleep at exactly 6:30am. School starts at 8 so I have enough time. I follow my basic morning routine which includes trying out half my closet before deciding what to wear. Finally settling on a nude sweater, blue denim jeans slightly ripped on the knee area and a pair of sneakers, I head out of my room. I let my locks fall down my face to just above my barely womanly chest.

My Mom is already dressed up in her formal outfit hovering over a pan trying eggs. I sit on the table next to my always reading father. We have break fast and head out. My Mom woke up early to make the apple pie so she drags Dad and I with her to the new neighbour's doorstep. She knocks lightly a couple of times before the door is opened revealing a man about my dad's age. He has a sharp jaw that looks smile sick, dark brown eyes that carry a piercing gaze, black bangs covering his forehead.

"Hello, I'm Mrs. Mary Calloway, this is my husband, Frank and our daughter Kelly. Welcome to Clover Bay," mom says extending a hand which the man shakes. She hands him the pie.

"Thank you. I'm Gu Hyun-Jae," he says, "Jungkook-ah!" He shouts and a boy appears behind him.

He has black/brown soft doe eyes, black bangs as well but slightly parted revealing his forehead, he has a sharp noise, sharp jawline. If I knew any better, I'd say he was the cutest boy I'd ever laid my eyes on.

"Clover high too I see," mom says noticing his student's badge. He just nods. Doesn't seem the talkative kind.

After our parents practically force us to walk to school together, we find ourselves in awkward silence. The only sound is the tapping of our shoes against the tar. I feel super weird right now. I'm used to loud music thudding into my ear drums with me hopping up and about on my way to school. The fact that I'm walking normally beside an extremely quiet person is not helping my case in any way. 

"Senior year?" He suddenly speaks, making me jump.

"Y-yeah," I say, "You?" He just nods.

"Where did you move here from?" I ask after another moment of silence. I'm hoping he doesn't think I'm crossing the boundary fence which I'm very well sure I just did.

"South Korea. Fifteen years ago. Now, moving from Greenville," he says quietly. Fifteen years seems like a long time ago, guessing he was around 3 or 4 by then.

"That's great. I've known Clover Bay since I couldn't even walk and have never left this place. Probably won't," I say.

"Cool," he says softly and we walk all the way to school in slightly comfortable silence.

One thing I've realised is, he isn't a fan of small talk. He's a bit off, like his mind is somewhere far away. It's probably too early to tell but something in me tells me there's more to this person I'm currently walking side to side with.