Chapter Six

Kelly's POV

It's been over a week now and I've not seen Jungkook. He has not come to school in all that time, I've not seen any movements in his room. I can safely say my emotions are on edge, every damn time. No screams or cries. And I'm always on the edge thinking the worst. The least I could do during that week of absenteeism was to write his homework and take his work home lying to the teachers that he had a severe cold. I would get home and write all of his work, Yaya helped with the physics and mechanics. I had never lied to my teachers but I did for a week and I don't feel the tiniest bit of shame.

As I walk through the school gate, I make a mental note to go check on him if he doesn't show up today. I know he said to leave him alone but I can't, he needs at least one caring person. I keep asking myself why he gets to suffer so much, what sin has he committed that can't be forgiven? He's so young yet so broken, I can barely understand how he manages to stay alive. I don't even
realise I'm crying until tears start wetting my sweater. I wipe them using the back of my hand and continue down the half-filled hallways. I'm not really worried about them seeing me cry.

I get to class and the lessons for the day begin on a relatively high note. I'm paying half attention, most times my mind is back in Fifth Street house number 132 right across our very own house. He probably hasn't eaten in this whole week, what if he really didn't eat? I'm panicking as I think about it, it hurts to care so much. My thoughts are interrupted by a voice,
"Sorry sir, I'm late. Was at the hospital," he says, Mr. Leigh just gives him a slight nod. At least that makes my lie about a severe cold believable.

Meanwhile, I'm in complete shock. I'm looking at someone I thought I could see even in the depth of a dark night. But now, I'm not so sure. He is so skinny, like a log, his cheekbones are protruding outwardly, eye sockets hollow and his lips are dry and chapped. The sight is scary, a light sob escapes my lips making everyone shift their attention towards me. I just cover my mouth with my hand and suppress the urge to burst out crying. I manage to get through with my lessons by putting as much restraint on my emotions as I can. During our last lesson before lunch, he looks at me for less than a quarter of a millisecond but in that incredibly small time, I see the hollowness in his eyes. They're empty, no pain, no joy, no recognition. He almost looks lifeless and I just can't anymore. I just get up and run to the bathroom where I cry my eyes out, I don't even bother to go back for the last few minutes of the lesson.

When the bell for lunch rings, I'm by the door watching the students pour out of class talking in loud voices to each other. I peep inside the class and there he is, his head is resting on his folded arms on top of his desk. I walk into the class closing the door behind me. I'm scared as I walk towards him in slow careful steps. I hope he doesn't get mad. I sit right next to him and wait for my words to form. When it seems like it's taking forever, I force my hand into his and just hold it. I expect him to yank my hand off and chase me away but he doesn't. He just holds onto my hand tightly.

"Are you okay?" I ask him softly.
"Barely," he replies in a whisper. I squeeze his hand softly.
"Are you hurt anywhere?" I ask. He just sits up and tugs on the hem of his hoody before pulling up all the way to his shoulders. I gasp as soon as my eyes land on the countless bruises, dark and purple. Without thinking, I just scoot closer to him and wrap my arms around him. He doesn't protest, just buries his head in the crook of my neck. I break the hug after a little while.
"Please, stop pushing me away. Just let me be there for you," I plead.
"Okay," he says in his usual flat tone.
"I promise I won't invade, I just want to make sure you're okay," I say and he nods.
"Have you eaten?" He shakes his head no.
"For how long?" He doesn't answer.
"For how long Jungkook? Don't tell me you haven't eaten this entire time," he avoids my eyes as his start to water. I take my lunchbox out of my bag and place it in front of him, there are a couple of sandwiches inside.
"Wait, I'll be back," I run to the school cafeteria and get some warm water and warm milk. I buy a large apple and run back to class.

He hasn't moved, its like he is still so weak. I would be too. I sit back down and help him sit up straight. I hand him the mug with warm water and he can't even hold it, his hands are shaking. I can see the frustration painted on his face. I take the mug from his shaking hand and place it on his lips. He drinks the water and I wait a few minutes before giving him the milk. He hasn't eaten in forever so solid food right up will make him sick. After about twenty minutes, he is slowly coming back to life so I give him the sandwiches and the apple and he eats ever so slowly. After he has eaten, he leans back into the chair, I intertwine our fingers and give his a gentle squeeze.

"I'm going to fail my final year," he says slowly.
"Why?" I ask.
"I missed lessons for a whole week, I didn't write any in-class work or assignments. I'm just failing," he says, he seems worried.
"Don't you worry about that, okay," I tell him softly.
"Why not?"
"You wrote all the in-class work and assignments," I say. His face scrunches in momentary confusion but softens after realising how that could have happened.
"You didn't have to," he almost whispers but I hear him anyways.
"I don't mind," I say honestly.
"You've already done too much for me. I am sorry, I didn't mean to impose on your normal life like that," he says, there's so much sadness in his voice it breaks my heart.
"You didn't impose, I'm doing this because I want to. Stop blaming yourself, you deserve a little taste of heaven too," I say smiling sweetly to him. He smiles, this time it's genuine, the corners of his mouth twitch before he breaks into an even wider smile. He had cute bunny teeth and his eyes light up as he continues to smile.
"Thank you," he says.
"It's okay," I tell him before leaning my head into his shoulder and closing my eyes. He simply gives me peace.

I'm walking from last lesson, my geography class after Kookie has safely seatedbesides Yaya for their physics practical. I've a thick textbook cluchted tightly against my chest. It's just a habit of mine to carry my books like that. Suddenly, I feel a hand firmly grab mine and drag me to am empty classroom. The person turns out to be Greg and I notice his friends seated haphazardly around the classroom.
"Well, well, well," he says.
"Well, well, what? Why did you bring me here?" I snap making him chuckle.
"I told you I'd get you,"
"Oh I'm sorry, I must have forgotten, seems I'm busy thinking about more important stuff," I snap.
"That pale kid? Is he the important stuff?"
"Good, you've figured it out," I say sarcastically.
"You hit me for him, now we level that ground once and for all,"
"Greg Whiteside, find your patience before I lose mine!" I glare at him.
He just smirks and comes right at me. I retreat backwards till my back hits the wall. My heart beat rises to my throat, I do not like the position I'm in. He's cornering me and I'm shit scared. He put a hand on my chest and panic made me slap it away and aim for his face. Unfortunately, he calculated my move and grabbed my hands pinning them on the wall on either sides of me. My eyes started to water making me completely defenceless.
"Not so feisty now, huh?" He cooes in my ear pushing his knee into my lady part. He is literally violating me and I'm just standing completely helpless. I swear I hate him more now.
"Greg, let me go," I plead.
"No can do," he says running a hand up my sweater. He is about to touch my boobs when the door is swung open revealing a way too cool Jungkook.
"Don't do that," he says casually leaning against the door.
"Oh, look who is here. It's the weak dickhead," Greg says still looking at me.
"Let her go," Jungkook says. Greg lets me go and starts walking towards Jungkook who doesn't move an inch. For some reason Jungkook is scaring me too.
"What you gonna do? Huh?" Greg says.
"Nothing. Absolutely nothing but do let her go," he says with a slight shrug.
"He thinks he's cool, you're not even close. I run this place, this is my school, I know everything," he says dangerously close to Jungkook who still doesn't move.
"Can't say the same for your grades though," my eyes widen at the comment. I'm expecting Greg to throw himself on Kookie and beat him up but he doesn't. He just goes 'tsk tsk' and walks out bumping into Kookie's shoulder. They all file out bumping into Kook who doenst spare them a glance.

Meanwhile, I'm in too much shock to move so im still against the wall. I don't see him walk across the room to where I am and pull me into a hug.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, thank you," I say.
"You did the same for me too," he says still holding me. I dont know why my heart is suddenly beating way faster and my stomach in turning weirdly.
"He could have hit you," I tell him once he breaks the hug.
"I don't care," he says, "We should get going, its home time."

We walk out the school gate where Yaya is waiting for us. We talk about random stuff and its way better because Jungkook is finally warming up to me and Yaya. He even laughed.