Chapter 20

Run!

Mitsuba kept mentally telling himself that, but he could feel his body close to giving up.

Run faster... Don't stop!

The same words and phrases kept repeating inside his head like a broken record. His shoes would make heavy thumps or irritating squeaks every time he runs. But how long can his fragile body keep up? How long will he keep crying for help? There is no single sign of the living that can help him.

Karasu!

Mitsuba hasn't seen that raven at all, it made him worry. He knows that Karasu is strong and powerful, however, his sudden disappearance along with the other apparitions made Mitsuba think that something bad happened to them.

This hallway... there's no end at all! What the hell is happening?!

He asked but that question quickly dissipated. It's not important after all, he just needs to find a mirror to enter Karasu's domain and his guardian-like teacher will protect him. And if Karasu is still missing, then the mannequins will protect him instead. Those things were ordered to defend Mitsuba at all costs so he'll surely be safe.

For a second, a small light peeking out from a room blinded Mitsuba's right eye. That was when he stopped running and firmly opened the door beside him. At the end of the classroom, there stood a mirror that was big enough for him to fit in.

Oh, thank fucking God for these powers!

Right, Karasu gave him some supernatural power. With it, Mitsuba can enter and exit the domain anytime through a mirror, and he can also use it to fend for himself. So why isn't using his abilities to fight back? Simple, he was scared- no, terrified. He was terrified and he wouldn't allow himself to get captured by them.

Without further ado, he ran towards the mirror and went through it. As he entered, he fell to the floor on his side. The ache on his arm didn't matter, he needed to get help.

"Karasu! Weird-ass mannequins! Where are you?!" His yells echoed around the large room. Mitsuba took a better look at his surroundings, now he has more reasons to be afraid.

The room had no walls, only pitched black shadows that look like it'll trap you in the dark. There was a light flickering in the middle of the room but when Mitsuba looked up, he saw no ceilings, only darkness.

"Bird brain...? A-Are you here?" He asked once more and received an answer. Although, Mitsuba wished he didn't.

"He's not here anymore, silly!" The same childlike voice- a voice that for some reason Mitsuba dearly despised- spoke. The stranger's exact place was unknown, but Mitsuba sure knows that they're in the shadows watching him like a creep. "Well, he's here but not exactly here, hehe~!"

"The hell you mean not exactly?!" Mitsuba yelled, stomping his foot. He had enough, that boy has been messing with him for hours but if someone messes with his bird mom then they will not go unpunished!

"He's..." The voice paused, then continued to speak. And when they did, they were closer,

"Right..." And closer.

"In..." And closer, until...

"...here~"

Mitsuba froze as if he turned into a statue. They're right behind him, holding his stomach with their tiny hands while their index finger taps it. "Don't you remember?" They whispered extremely close to his ears, "That day I made you... stronger."

"Karasu made me stronger, not you." Mitsuba retorted. He was trembling and filled with fear, but Karasu taught him how to fight it. "Except for the fact that you're using Hanako's appearance to trick me, I don't even know you, fake bitch-ACK!"

Mitsuba winced as one hand tightly gripped his stomach while the other scratched his back. The fake Hanako giggled, proceeding to make their hold more painful, "Well, well~ Looks like you've gotten braver but also ruder. How ungrateful since I granted your wish after all." They said, resting their chin on Mitsuba's shoulder, "You don't want me to put a hole on your stomach again, don't you, Mitsuba?"

What wish? What do they mean by 'again'!?

"Tsukasa... I told you to leave this issue to us." A cold yet soft voice suddenly joined in.

Mitsuba was still scared and confused, but the familiar voice slightly put him at ease, "Senpai!?" He cried out, "Where are you!?"

A girl with lovely short green hair and a neutral face stepped out of the shadows along with a tall, brown-haired companion, "Let him go." Sakura plainly said. "You did enough. Let us handle this."

The kid whined yet he complied. And as soon as he kept his hands to himself, Mitsuba ran towards his friends with teary eyes.

"Senpai!" He yelled, tears flowing out. He ran with his arms open, extremely eager to hug them for safety and comfort.

"Mitsuba!" Natsuhiko yelled back, opening his arms to welcome Mitsuba in his arms. Although, he felt a little betrayed when the younger boy ran up to Sakura instead, "Oh... okay."

Mitsuba hugged the older girl, his tears staining her uniform while he mumbled incoherent words. Sakura's face was still stoic but her eyes showed that she's worried and sad. Meanwhile, Natsuhiko was patting Mitsuba's back to comfort him while glaring at the smiling kid.

"We told you that we'll handle this ourselves." Natsuhiko groaned, he was clearly mad and annoyed at him, "But no! You had to be an impatient little rat!"

"Hm~? Impatient?" Tsukasa repeated with an amused grin, "His wish was supposed to last five days in the real world, but it's been two weeks since then. I think the correct word you should say is... generous~"

The two continued to argue which made Sakura irritated. Although it wasn't the time to scold those two, she needs to put her attention on the boy who needs it the most right now. Poor boy, so scared and so confused. Sakura would've taken this situation slowly but they're running out of time.

"Mitsuba... it's time." She said with a gentle tone, she has to be quick but she also doesn't want him to break down further. Mitsuba couldn't talk yet, so he looked at her eyes instead. "Don't worry, I'll explain everything to you. But for now... it's time to wake up."

"Wait...!" He said, he started to feel drowsy and weak. He tried to fight the sleepiness back but his eyes began to feel heavy as his head felt light and empty. "Please... I want... to be with... Kou..."

_______________________

It's kind of a short and angsty chapter I know, I know. But I had fun writing it~!

It will be sad for a tiny while but don't worry! I love you all so I'll write an extra cute and fluffy chapter after the conflict :D