Chapter 9

"A... Apprentice?", Mitsuba asked the apparition in front of him.

The humanoid raven nods in confirmation, "Yes, you'll be my apprentice. And I shall be your great master. Together, we'll be unstoppable!", he said as he squishes the strawberry's face a bit.

Mitsuba raises an eyebrow, "Isn't apprentice just a fancy word for assistant? Also, could you please let go of me you feathery pervert!", he groaned as he swats the apparition's hand off his face.

The giant bird looks at him in a shocked and offended manner.

Did he just slap my hand? Did a puny human just casually slap a powerful apparition's hand?! He thought.

Mitsuba often playfully slaps Hanako, sometimes not too playfully, so this is nothing to him.

"You should be grateful, human. Receiving such an invitation from a mighty being like me is-"

"I didn't ask for an apprenticeship", Mitsuba interrupts, "And I have a name too, bird brain! It's Mitsuba Sousuke and you better remember that", he said as he rests his right hand on his waist like a king he is.

"Well, I am not 'bird brain'. I'm one of the 7 wonders in this school; wonder no. 3", he proudly explained his rank, "You may not like the idea for now. But let me change your mind, Human", the apparition said.

Mitsuba didn't say anything and let the ghost in front of him explain himself.

"If you agree to be my assistant, I'll grant you a dash of my power", No. 3 explained as he emphasized the word 'power'.

Now that deal certainly caught Mitsuba's attention. But it also gave him tons of questions.

"Why would you give me power? In fact, why did you choose me in the first place if you think that I'm just a weakling?", He finally asked his questions.

The apparition deeply chuckles, "You may be a weakling, but you're a special kind of weakling"

The pink boy arches his eyebrow, still a bit confused from the apparition's words. And fortunately, the raven in front of him understood his confusion.

"Do you ever wonder why you are able to see inhuman creatures like me and ghosts like no. 7?"

Of course, Mitsuba had thought of that but he didn't put too much thought into it.

"Duh, it's because I'm special"

The apparition shakes his head, "It's because you were supposed to be dead", the mighty raven said as his eyes glow from pure astonishment.

The pinkette's eyes widened. Him? Dead? But why? He searches for answers in his own head, occasionally looking at the smirking ghost hoping he would at least get a clue.

Suddenly, an unforgettable memory flashes on Mitsuba's mind.

He quickly turns his gaze at the apparition before him but he wasn't there anymore. He looks at his left then right but the bird is still nowhere to be seen. Then, he felt a slight movement behind causing him to back away in a flash.

Mitsuba is now facing the apparition who is holding his yellow scarf in his hand with sharp claws.

Don't touch my scarf!

"You're doing a poor job hiding that nasty scar from me, Human", The apparition mocked as Mitsuba use his right hand to cover his nape and the other to clutch his fist.