Chapter 2 : One Year Later

Anshu's POV

"Hello, my name is Anshu Sharma." I said to the receptionist. "I am here for my interview."

Without saying anything, the receptionist pressed several keys on the computer keyboard in supersonic speed, while I got the chance to glance at the posh office reception. A huge painting of white galloping horses adored the south wall of the room. There was a marble fountain in one corner. Maybe it was because of the angle at which the water was falling, which looked kind of wrong, since the water was getting sprinkled all over the floor. There were small water puddles all around the fountain. I wondered if the clumsy person within me would slip here someday because no one thought of fixing it.

Of course I need to get a job here first. Duh!

Some awards, trophies and commemorative inscriptions were kept in a glass cabinet along with some antique show pieces. I saw two more people sitting on the Chesterfield sofa on the north side of the room above which a huge granite plate on the wall, had the name 'JC Projects Limited' engraved on it. The company tagline, 'We are the Kings of Construction' was written below it.

"Ms. Anshu Sharma, your interview will be in 10 minutes in room number 152. Please kindly be seated and you will be intimidated at your turn." the receptionist broke my concentration with her monotone voice.

"Okay, thank you." I quietly went on and sat on the classy coffee brown sofa.

The guy next to me shifted a bit, although there was plenty of space for two more people to sit. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him. The girl in the single sofa was staring at her phone and remained unbothered with the worldly courtesies and gestures we were exchanging. We ignored her too.

"Room 152 right?" the guy spoke.

"Huh? Oh yes 152. What about you?"

"Same here, I am Akshat by the way."

"Hi, I am Anshu."

"Anshu I hate interviews. I am just here because my dad asked me to." He lowered his tone and came closer covering the 2 inches he moved away earlier, "Plus I've heard the boss here is not good towards their employees. The staffs have tough time here."

What is this sudden change in tone? Maybe it is his strategy to change my mind regarding the job.

"How do you know about that?" I stared at him and he stared back at me.

Out of the blue he started laughing and said, "Well, I drink and I know things" and kept laughing.

"Did you just quote Tyrion Lanister?"

"Feisty ha! See you know stuffs too, because some people just don't understand when I quote something. See, maybe I don't drink like him, but I do know stuffs, at least about this company. And mind you, that's a talent. It's getting rarer day by day." And he kept laughing.

"Good for you Mr. Akshat. Keep it protected then, since it's rare. Try not to lose it." I was getting awkwardly irritated, which started becoming prominent on my face.

I looked at the receptionist. It's already past 10 minutes she had asked me to wait.

"I like that, irritated yet positive. Anyways, Anshu, it was nice meeting you. And I do hope you get the job, all the best." He gave a thumbs up, smiled and went away.

Ah such a relief I thought.

Where do people like these come from? Concentrate Anshu, you have an interview. This is your third interview in two weeks. Focus!

"Ms. Anshu." The receptionist signaled me to proceed.

Getting this job is important to me. Past one year I just killed some time without doing anything and if I don't get myself busy with work, Mummy is sure to get me a groom from somewhere. It was my decision to shift to Bangalore and look for job. I got to do this!