Chapter Eighteen

~Pomona Sprout~

I watched as Harry flitted around the room, discussing some things quietly with the forest lords. We had already done the vows of fealty from the difficult forest lords, including my uncle. I was, however, surprised at how many names I recognized from pureblood families. There were at least three, and Harry had been shocked to realize he had a female relative, however distant, amongst his new people. Phoebe Potter, apparently a daughter that had chosen to live within the forest rather than marry the odious man her parents had contracted her to. The forest she had stayed in had eventually grown magical enough to attract magical creatures and had grown cognizant enough to transform her into a forest lady. 

Uncle Kadamus came to a stop next to me, leaning down so that he could murmur closer to my ear, "I am sorry if I have upset you, Pomona. I did not mean to. I am just...I am protective of my people. There has not been a new forest lord since Agatha, and I'm sure I've told you the story of how that went. I did not dare imagine that William would allow another to be made, but he saw something in the boy."

I nodded, "Aye, he did, something that isn't hard to find if you look for it. The boy as you call him has already saved more people than you have. Even if Dumbledore were right about his mothers protection being the thing that destroyed V-Voldemorts' body the first time, the boy faced him just last year, and managed to stop him from acquiring the philosophers' stone. Harry is brave, and he does what he believes is right, even to the detriment of himself at times. I cannot believe you would have attempted to harm him."

Uncle Kadamus shook his head, "I never agreed with that part of Reeds' plan, Pomona. You must believe me. I had merely planned to prove that he was incapable, and have him stripped."

A man came to a stop in front of us, and stated firmly, "The rest of us are planning to pledge our fealty to our new King outside within his forest. We would like your attendance, Lady Sprout."

I shook my head, "I'm not head of my family, my Lord. Just Pomona is fine."

The man smiled slightly, "Aye, very well, Pomona. King Harry requests your presence, and Forrester wants to begin so he can then begin cooking dinner. The King has not eaten as much as Forrester would like."

I nodded, following the lord outside, Uncle Kadamus on my heels. The Forest Lords had been busy, a stage having been conjured or made out of nearby branches and limbs, and Harry stood on the stage with the phoenix, Kismet, on his shoulder and much to my surprise, Professor Snape standing to his right. Harry beamed a smile at me as he saw me, and motioned for me to take the spot to his left. I did so, and he grinned wider at me before thanking me for standing with him. 

The man who had asked us to come outside came up first and knelt at Harrys' feet, "I, Cassian Glover, do hereby swear fealty to King Harry James Potter-LeFay, Lord of Houses Potter, Peverell, Slytherin, Gryffindor, and LeFay, King of The Forests, upon my magic. I promise to bring aid should he call me, I promise to hold his secrets, to protect his forest as if it was my own. I promise that any that follow me shall in turn follow him. Upon my magic, so mote it be!" An echo of it surrounded us for a moment before Harry cleared his throat, "I, King Harry Potter-LeFay, Lord of Houses Potter, Peverell, Slytherin, Gryffindor, and LeFay, do hereby accept your oath of Fealty, Lord Cassian Glover. I accept your promises, and in return promise to defend your forest should you have need of me, and come to your aid should you call for me. Upon my magic, so mote it be!"

Harry helped Lord Cassian to his feet, clasping arms with him as a golden glow surrounded the two of them, and the oath was sealed. It took nearly an hour and a half for the others to complete their oaths, but Harry never wavered with his oath, nor with his willingness. I was, however, shocked to see how many of the forest 'lords' were actually women. Many had been wearing cloaks, and while I could recognize their gender from their more slender forms, or from their voices, it was astonishing to realize that almost a third of the forest lords were forest ladies. 

After the final oath was accepted, Harry turned and cast a tempus charm, revealing it to be nearly dinner time. He grinned sheepishly at Snape and I and asked, "Would the two of you care to stay for dinner? Forrester is making something of a feast, given how many guests I have currently, and I'd like you to stay, but if you cannot, I can portal you two back to Hogwarts."

I nodded, "Aye, I can stay, Harry. I'd be honored. Thank you for allowing me to witness this ceremony, it was beautiful." 

Harry flushed lightly,  "Thank you for coming, I really wanted some adults I was comfortable with here with me. It's all so new and a tad bit unnerving."

Snape nodded, "I would like to stay as well, Harry. It was a rather eventful day, but I'm grateful you invited me to join you and witness the ceremony."

Harry grinned at the man, "Of course I'm going to invite you, Professor. You've been very kind and helpful to me since Gringotts. Do you need to let the headmaster know that you'll be here for dinner, or will he know somehow?"

Snape shook his head, "I can send a patronus to Dumbledore. I'd rather not go back, in case he decides to try and invite himself into your business."

I nodded in agreement, "Aye, indeed, Lord Potter-LeFay. Severus, if you wouldn't mind including myself in your message, I'd be grateful." Snape nodded once, swirling around and making his way around the house slightly-probably for privacy while he cast and created his message, as well as to keep others voices from entering the message itself. 

Uncle Kadamus came over, gallantly holding out an arm, and asked quietly, "I know I've upset you, Pomona, but would you accept my escort into dinner? I'd like to hear how the family is doing."

I looked at Harry, who smiled and nodded, "I'll see you inside, Professor."

Sighing slightly, I linked arms with my uncle, allowing him to lead me into the Forest Kings home. Forrester stood nearby, and politely asked, "Would you care to be seated with your uncle, Professor Sprout, or would you like to be close to Lord Potter-LeFay?"

Uncle Kadamus chuckled, "Ah, I see you haven't forgiven me, Forrester. I truly did not agree with Reed's plans. I never meant to hurt the boy, merely prove he was incapable."

Forrester stared stonily at Uncle Kadamus before coldly stating, "Yes, you decided since the heir wasn't you, or your closest friends, that he must be incapable. You did not care to test the magick of the forest, to see if she had accepted and welcomed him as her own, you did not care to ask myself, a free elf who has served not just King William, but this forest since I was but a babe, left in the forest to die because the curse that enslaved my people did not take hold in me. This forest cared for me, nurtured me with her own magic, fed it to me so I survived. I don't serve the Forest King because I feel indebt to William, I am, simply put, a part of this forest and a part of this forest I shall always be. I shall always, and I do mean always Kadamus, do what is best for this forest. So long as Harry Potter-LeFay protects it as he is, he will have my undivided loyalty. Remember that, Kadamus, and remind your friends lest they forget...And find out what my abilities as an uncursed elf are."

Harry came in, standing shoulder to shoulder with the elf, and stated, "We'll keep the forest safe, Forrester, I promise."

Forrester nodded, "Aye, we will, my lord. If you'll excuse me, I need to go and check on the food. Perhaps you could show our guests to the dining room? I've already enlarged the room and the table."

We all stood silently as we watched Forrester walk away, and after he was out of ear shot Harry turned and frowned at Uncle Kadamus, "I really think you need to apologize to Forrester, Lord Kadamus. You've really upset him with your lack of trust towards him. I'm new to this, the Kingship, but even I know that when you upset someone you don't act condescending towards them-you apologize. If you don't apologize, and I will be asking if you did, I'm afraid you'll only be allowed back by invitation, or summoning. I won't have my friends upset."