Season 0, Episode 2.0

It's been two weeks since my argument with Sandra, and she's been breathing down my neck. She locked my skateboard up and has even started showing up at school to pick me up, which is just annoying, and refutes anything I say in protest with "I'm your mother so you have to listen to me." 

As a result, I've pretty much just stopped talking to her. She might be stubborn, but I have both Ben's and my memories to work with. 'Sides, I got homework to do anyways. 

Carl, Ben's 'dad' seems to be a bit less restrictive than Sandra, and actually seems to care about Ben, but also seems afraid of upsetting Sandra. Carl's been trying to connect better with me, so I'll give him credit for that, but I'm still not calling him my father, or Ben's. 

I want to reiterate how glad I am that I died after I graduated high school, cause man this homework is easy now. It's actually surprised a lot of my teachers how much better I'm doing. Speaking of teachers, my main teacher, Professor Peach, thought I'd been cheating at first, so she had me take one of the quizzes in a room with no one but myself and the teacher. It was a little nerve-racking, but I made it through the test and got 100%. That seemed to get her off of my back. 

I started paying more attention to the other students in my class. There's Kai, she'll be important later in the series when the Loboan shows up; T.J. is in this class, but he doesn't mess with me during the class (thankfully); Lucy Mann, who I'm fairly certain is a Lonoban, though I'll admit I'm not certain; Ruby Rose, a girl who I recognize as NOT being from the Ben 10 series but from the show RWBY, so I have no idea how she got here; and that one kid who Ben got hung in a tree for trying to defend during the first episode, Jamie. 

Jamie is a little turd, so I may not actually do that. 

Regardless, I decided to make friends with Ruby, since I need to be friends with someone. Turns out she still wants to be a superhero, and we're pretty good friends now. That's neat. 

I've also made it a point to talk to Gwen more. Ben and Gwen didn't have the best relationship in the show, and I really don't want to have to deal with her hating me the entire trip. 

Yesterday, Sandra made the comment, "Why can't you be more like Gwen? She listen's to her parents and does great in school!" 

I just ignored her again. She didn't like that much, and now I'm not allowed to shut my door unless I'm going to sleep. 

Right now? I'm sitting at the dinner table while Sandra complains about the fact that I don't respect her, and that I couldn't be more like Gwen. "Maybe hanging out with Gwen would do you some good, you could see how kids are supposed to behave!" 

I just sighed and continued to eat the crappy steak she made. Seriously, this is practically raw. 

Carl hesitantly decided to interject. "You know, Sandra, continuously lecturing at Ben isn't going to make him agree with you." 

"What was that?" Sandra whipped her head angrily at him. 

"I mean, I was a kid once. I really didn't like it when my dad lectured at me because I did something he thought was irresponsible, and neither did my brother. I'm just saying you could handle this better." 

Sandra glared at him angrily before slamming her hands on the table and leaving. 

"Thanks for that, Carl," I said appreciatively. I honestly hadn't expected him to say anything. 

"Welp, looks like I'm sleeping on the couch tonight," Carl chuckled half-heartedly. "It's no problem, Ben. I know you were really starting to hate how Sandra was treating you, and to be honest, she's been going way to far. I don't think she'll see reason anytime soon, but we can always hope. Any-who, I think it's about time for bed. After all, it is a school night." 

I nodded and got up, taking my plate to the kitchen. As I passed Carl on the way out, I decided to give him a hug. "Goodnight, Carl. Sleep well." 

Carl hugged me back. "Goodnight, Ben." 

I'm glad that Carl's taking steps towards being a better father, but if Sandra doesn't quit her crap I may have to knock some sense into her. 

When I got back to my room, I saw that Gwen was calling me. I quickly sat down in front of the laptop and accepted the call. 

"Sup, cuz~" Gwen cheered to me. 

"Hey, Gwen," I said with a small smile. "Shouldn't you be in bed?" 

Gwen chuckled. "Normally I would be, but someone wanted to say hi to you." 

My eyes widened as Ken leaned in from the side. "Sup, Ben?" 

"Ken!" I shouted happily. "It's great to see you!" 

I knew Ben hadn't seen Ken since his and Gwen's last birthday party, which had ended up being on New Years, so it made since that Ben would miss him. 

"Good to see you again too, Ben," Ken smiled, before getting serious. "Gwen tells me you and your mom have been fighting?" 

"I haven't been fighting her, she's just upset that I called her out on her bull, and I refuse to apologize for it." 

Ken grimaced. "Yeah, I heard. Look Ben, I know you're angry with your mom, but she's trying her best." 

"Yeah, sure. Never tried before, but I go out for food one time without her permission and suddenly she cares." There was a clear bitter note in my voice. "Me and Carl have been getting along better though. I think even he's starting to get tired of Sandra's crap." 

"BENJAMIN WHERE DID YOU LEARN THAT LANGUAGE!?" Ken yelled at me as Gwen started laughing. 

"From Sandra, where else?" I asked with a grimace. 

Ken groaned as Gwen finally stopped laughing. "Well, I'm glad that you're getting along with at least one of your parents." 

"Yeah," I shrugged. "I just can't wait for this summer." 

"Ah yes," Gwen chuckled. "The road trip with Grandpa. Be sure to send me a postcard." 

"Of course, Gwen," I affirmed. 

"So," Ken smirked. "Any new friends in school?" 

I decided it wouldn't do any harm to tell them. "Well, one new friend, but T.J. is still a pain, and I'm honestly starting to really hate Kai. She treats everyone, and especially me, like crap, and I don't get why." 

"Who's the new friend?" Gwen asked with a cheerful tone, seemingly happy about me not liking Kai. 

"This girl in my class named Ruby," I stated, and almost missed Gwen's slight frown. "She's really nice, and she's into sports too. She's not as smart as you, Gwen, but she also isn't as dumb as Cash. A bit hyperactive, and she also really likes hunting." 

Ken and Gwen chuckled at that. 

"Well, I gotta get going. I'll talk to you guys later!" I then hung up and went to bed. 

Author's note: This chapter took a bit longer to do. I'm going to do 2-3 more chapters that'll take place before the start of the series, mostly for background information on how the characters interact now. Did you guys like Ruby being thrown in here? I had to do something to justify it having the RWBY tag like my other series's. She's not a speedster though... yet (?). See you guys in the next chapter, SAYONARA~