──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗜𝗩

── Wednesday 1st September 1971

SIRIUS SAUNTERED INTO THE GIGANTIC STONE HALL, alongside his newfound friends. The room was packed, the four banquet tables with their house banners above them spread out the length of the hall, the equally long benches occupied with other students all in the same uniform, with only the ties being different depending on their house. Sirius and the other boys had changed into their robes during the train ride like all the other first years and most of them were now watching Professor Mcgonagall, the same witch who had addressed Sirius his Hogwarts letter as she stood at the front, next to the old sorting hat.

Several names had been called for people to be sorted, but Sirius found himself more intrigued by Remus, who was standing a little bit behind from the three boys. He was studying the room in awe, as if he'd never seen anything so magical, much like some of the people with muggle parents. Perhaps he was a mudblood too. Sirius grinned to himself, eyes still set on the tall brunette boy - all the more reason to befriend him.

The dark-haired boy felt someone tap his shoulder and looked over at James, before realising it was his turn. Sirius heard the other boy wish him good luck as he sighed and walked towards the hat, hesitantly. He sat down on the stool, glancing at the Slytherin table. It didn't take him long to spot Andromeda smiling at him, before leaning in to talk to a girl with black hair.

"Ah, a Black." Sirius heard the sorting hat say in recognition. "A special one, aren't you?" He pressed his lips into a thin line, his hands gripping the edge of the stool, nervous as ever. However, he certainly didn't disagree that he was special. The hall was quiet in anticipation. "Gryffindor!" The hat cried out. Sirius felt his heart drop, gasps could be heard from the Slytherin table and he took a shaky breath, slipping off the stool immediately after Mcgonogall took the hat off. He walked over to his own table without sparing a glance at the Slytherins. Suddenly, Sirius had the urge to disappear.

The sorting continued, and he made room for Lily Evans as she approached the Gryffindor table, but the girl shot him a cold look, crossing her arms and turning away. The boy furrowed his brows, frowning - he hadn't even done anything! Remus joined the two a little later, sitting across from them. He smiled at Sirius and Sirius simply looked down at his lap, huffing.

Peter and James were also soon sorted into Gryffindor, the latter having been sorted much faster than the other. Peter kept glancing back as if in denial, though James strutted towards them, beaming. He sat down beside Sirius with a grin, "This is brilliant, isn't it?" James asked them.

Sirius scoffed, "No, it's not brilliant," the others turned to look at him, "I'm doomed!" he exclaimed, pushing the empty plate in front of him away and laying his face down on the table.

"At least you broke tradition." Peter said, from beside Remus, referring to their conversation on the train, though he squeaked when Sirius looked up, casting a glare his way. Bloody tradition.