──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗩

── Tuesday 14th September 1971

REGULUS WAS PERCHED ON THE MAHOGANY CHAIR in his room, sitting opposite Kreacher. Their family's old house elf still refused to sit with him, preferring to sit on the ground as a means of respect. This disappointed Regulus, but he also didn't want Kreacher in any sort of trouble with his parents because of him, so he'd reluctantly let him do so.

The two were playing a game of Wizard's Chess and Regulus appeared to be winning, having only left Kreacher two black pawns and his queen on the board. Those were taken from the grouchy house elf within seconds, and resulted in his frown deepening. A checkmate followed quickly after. Regulus smiled at him, "Maybe next time, Kreacher," he reassured, standing up to pick up the black and white marble pieces.

"No!" the small being exclaimed suddenly, immediately jumping to his feet in alarm, "No. Kreacher will clean up, Master Regulus. Kreacher will be happy to clean up."

Regulus shook his head at the elf, "It's okay, Kreacher," he said, still smiling as he gathered everything and neatly put it away. He then sat down on the edge of his bed and sighed - his boredom was consuming him. Kreacher stood, watching him, curiosity was expressed through his eyes, if nothing else.

"Kreacher senses something is wrong. Is Master Regulus okay?" the elf finally asked, staring up at Regulus.

The boy glanced at the house elf sympathetically - his brother never treated Kreacher right. Regulus didn't understand it, the elf hadn't ever done anything wrong. Sure, Kreacher could be bitter, and needed to control himself at times, but he was actually rather endearing too. Regulus was extremely fond of him, and it was disheartening to see his friend and his brother constantly spite each other.

"I still miss Sirius," the boy murmured, hoping he hadn't, by accident, offended the house elf somehow. His hands moved to fidget with his curly locks (which had been a complete nightmare to brush that morning, as always) and Regulus remained silent for a moment, eyes set on the ground. He wondered what his beloved brother was up to now. Was he thinking about Regulus as much as Regulus was him, despite the fact that he'd been sorted into Gryffindor? The ten-year-old hoped so.

"Kreacher?" he said, finding the house elf had given no response to his previous statement, not that Regulus blamed him.

"Yes, Master Regulus?" the house elf replied.

"I appreciate you, a lot. Everything would be so lonely without you." Regulus told him, finally looking at the small creature. Kreacher looked back, surprised, before nodding - though before he could react much more, an ear-shatterring "REGULUS!" echoed throughout the house.

Regulus started, getting to his feet. He rushed out of his bedroom and downstairs, before remembering that running was not tolerated. He slowed down as he proceeded down the wooden steps, though only a little.