──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗫𝗜𝗜𝗜

── Friday 1st September 1972

Following his encounter with Sirius' friends, most of the train ride to Hogwarts had indeed been spent on the floor of a bathroom as gross as it was. However his avoidance technique was cut short when some desperate kid started banging on the door, eloquently requesting he pack it up and get the fuck out already because some of us need to piss. To say Regulus had been shocked by such unwarranted vulgarity would've been fair - he could tell Hogwarts was going to be a lovely place full of lovely people.

Regulus had to force himself up, stepping out of the bathroom to find a tall, shaggy-haired brunette who shoved past him without any regard for simple manners. The attitude was unbelievable, honestly. The boy pressed his lips into a thin line, mildly annoyed as he walked away, trying to figure out where Narcissa was sitting.

To be truthful, Evan had invited him to sit with Rabastan and him, but Regulus could not be bothered with their constant chatter at the moment - Evan would make one snarky comment about Sirius and the boy was certain he'd start sobbing from the frustration, which would just be embarrassing. He'd done enough of that already that summer, and he wasn't willing to lose the few friends he had because he'd acted like a baby.

Narcissa would understand him, on the other hand, even if she didn't know why exactly he was upset. Besides, he had yet to properly see her ever since the news that Andromeda had... left. Regulus was sure she was distraught, and even just simple company could be comforting.

After a series of humiliating moments made up of him wandering into compartments full of strangers, Regulus finally struck gold as he approached one at the front of the train and opened it to find his blonde cousin. Though to his displeasure, she was accompanied by Lucius Malfoy and Corban Yaxley, the latter who eyed him with interest, as their conversation came to a sudden halt. Regulus didn't mind Lucius, he was okay, but something about Yaxley had always unnerved him, and if he was just going to ogle him like that, then he wasn't helping his case.

Narcissa had looked up from her book as he'd entered, confusion forming on her delicate features. "Regulus? Is something wrong? I thought you were sitting with Evan."

He shrugged, trying not to pay attention to Yaxley's unrelenting gaze, "I got bored. Can I sit here?"

She nodded, moving to make space for him, "Here." Regulus sat down next to her, and across from the two older boys. "How's life treating you?"

"Well-"

"How's the Dark Lord treating you?" interjected Yaxley loudly, with narrowed eyes. His tone was almost envious. Regulus' eyes darted to look him, shocked by his inability to be subtle. Was he trying to let the whole train know or something?

"Lucius, darling, try to keep your friend from interrupting us, hm?" came his cousin's sharp response and Regulus was thankful for it. Lucius blinked, immediately fumbling to scold his friend. "Reg?"