──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗩𝗜𝗜𝗜

── Thursday 20th January 1972

SIRIUS YAWNED AS BINNS DRONED ON about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct, finding it nothing other than dreadfully boring. He'd only half attempted to listen to the monotonous lecture the first ten minutes, but Professor Cuthbert Binns had such a way with words that anyone and everyone who sat his class would want to fall asleep within moments of entering. It didn't help that it was the last period for that day.

History of Magic was the one class that Sirius — unfortunately — didn't share with any of the other boys, and really the only person that kept him going throughout it was Mary Macdonald.

He had found the brown-skinned girl was actually rather friendly, despite his concerns prior to attempting a conversation with her. The boy had been doubtful at first - after all, she was a mudblood. (Sorry, muggleborn. He was still trying to adjust to the new word.) Obviously, Sirius hadn't seen Mary as villainous or anything like so — unlike how his parents had made all muggleborns out to be, for Alphard Black had thankfully guided the young boy past all that nonsense — but he had expected her to at least be snobbish or perhaps arrogant, similar to the impression Lily Evans had left on him.

It hadn't taken Sirius that long to realise how wrong he'd been - Mary was, without a doubt, very approachable. (She was even willing to pass notes to him throughout the class, for they both knew fully well that Binns would not bother noticing as long as they were silent.) Sure, the girl was a bit arrogant, but could he blame her? So was he.

"This lesson is so boring," Sirius scribbled onto a bit of parchment, "When am I ever going to want to know about werewolves?"

"Never, if Binns is the one teaching us," Mary wrote back, causing the other to snicker.

"How long till this class ends?"

"Why, you don't enjoy my company, Mr. Black?"

As if on cue, Processor Binns snapped his book close with a flick of his wand and took a seat at his desk, wordlessly signalling to all that the period was over. The class had long ago learned that he was never quite bothered to dismiss them properly.

As soon as they'd stepped out of Classroom 4F, Sirius inhaled theatrically, "I though I'd never escape that place. I was so bored."

Mary patted his back, a smile playing on her lips, "I'm sure you were. Especially considering you don't enjoy my presence," she said, walking beside him.

However, the dark haired boy abruptly paused in his steps and turned to face her, feigning an insulted gasp, "How dare you accuse me of that? I said nothing of the sort!"