──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗫𝗜

── Monday 3rd April 1972

"I UNDERSTAND YOU'RE APPROACHING YOUR FIRST YEAR," the Dark Lord stated, his reptilian smile unnerving Regulus more and more as his words contorted it, "you must be excited."

Regulus' eyebrows knitted together just the slightest, confusion by the man's interest in his upcoming year at Hogwarts arising. "I guess," he responded, which in all fairness, wasn't a lie — Regulus was eager to go to school, to receive his own wand from Ollivander's, to learn new charms and hexes, and best of all, to speak to Sirius each and every day, to be the centre of his brother's attention once again.

Lord Voldemort seemed amused by his answer, perplexing Regulus even more. "I want to you to take a look around this room, Regulus Black." And so he did, taking in, a little more carefully, the sight of a few dozen pureblood wizards, staring at him with curiosity that only continued to fuel his ever-growing puzzlement. "All of our friends here are depending on what you can do for our cause," he continued, calmly.

Regulus faltered at that, "Our cause?"

"I trust your mother has taught you of the importance of keeping our community pure, and of those who threaten that priority," he dismissed. The boy tried not to frown. "To put it simply, I've a job for you to do during your years at Hogwarts and it is simple. Your mother has informed me of how exemplary you are at your studies, and as your role as a pureblood son of your heart, so I doubt this should be an issue? All you have to do is spy for me, be my eyes and ears in that school."

Regulus' eyes had fallen to his mother who sit stiffly upright, looking directly ahead of her. At the Dark Lord's final few words, he registered the subtlest clench of her jaw, "I don't know..." came his hesitant response. Spy for him? Regulus didn't particularly enjoy the idea of being a snake.

"Well, perhaps you're right, I wouldn't want to put this matter in the hands of an incapable child... after all, you may not even end up a Slytherin," he considered.

Regulus' gaze flitted to the Dark Lord's immediately at this, the word choice of incapable causing an instant surge of annoyance to power through him, "I'm not incapable," he stated rather sharply, frowning.

The man raised his eyebrows, his expression neutral, which Regulus, only at that moment, realised was an offer to prove his words, "Oh?"

"...I'll spy."

Regulus heard his mother make a barely noticeable choking sound, while Lord Voldemort sported a knowing smirk that made Regulus feel as if he could see right through him. "If you're so certain, then perfect." The man looked down at him one last time before he turned to discuss other matters, as if he knew that when it came to proving his worth, Regulus was willing to be a snake, a Slytherin and so much more.

── ✧ ──

── Sunday 18th June 1972