──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗩𝗜𝗜

── Friday 25th December 1971

SIRIUS BLACK HAD NEVER ONCE BROKEN A PROMISE TO REGULUS. The words Sirius comforted his brother with, he'd always abided by — if Sirius told him he'd do something, he did it. That's just how it was.

Still, Sirius Black had not returned for winter break.

Regulus had kept himself optimistic the final few days before the break, hopeful as ever to finally see his dear brother after so long a separation, but of course, his hope had been in vain.

The younger Black brother wasn't quite sure how to react to his brother's absence, all his positivity had swirled down the drain and it occurred to him: What if Sirius had forgotten about him? He certainly hadn't bothered contacting Regulus ever since he'd left for school. Regulus felt a sense of betrayal course through him, his chest squeezed as if every broken promise broke his heart just the same — if Sirius had truly forgotten about him, that was not one, but two promises neglected. Two small, doubting cracks in his small, once assured heart.

Nevertheless, even after days, Regulus sat by the windowsill, staring at the placid sky that had been blanketed by the foggy nature of Yule, in search of some sign from Sirius. Something that would grant him some explanation through a few words so that his mind wouldn't do that deed in Sirius' place.

"Regulus," his father addressed him as he marched into the room, adjusting his black, silk tie. "Are you ready? We're leaving." The man glanced at him for a mere moment, raising an expecting eyebrow at his son, before turning to the mirror. Regulus solely nodded, taking one last look out of the window before rising to his feet and exiting the room, a book tucked under his arm that Evan (if the Rosiers opted to join them this year) would surely poke fun at him for.

It was a tradition of the Noble House of Black (and for many other families included in the sacred twenty-eight) that, each winter, a day of the twelve during Yule would be picked for a family supper. There was another tradition following the first — this one special to the Blacks —  that Sirius would muck everything up, being the absolute angel he was, and enrage all the adults present at the feast. Andromeda had told Regulus that Sirius had began this sacred tradition since he was only a year old, when he'd shrieked and wailed throughout the entire dinner, so now Regulus noted that, on the bright side of things, his brother wouldn't be gifted a new scar at the end of this year, to accompany the others littered all over his body.

Orion Black left the room soon after Regulus, appearing to have finished inspecting his attire. His hand moved to grip Regulus' shoulder and the boy winced in response to the physical contact. Within seconds, they'd apparated to the large door of Cygnus and Druella Black's estate and Regulus shivered, the freezing temperature nipping at him instantly. Once the two entered the home, Orion left Regulus to his own devices, leaving to accompany his wife who'd departed from their house much earlier than the two, in favour of Druella's company.