──── 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗩𝗜

── Wednesday 22nd September 1971

"NOW, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT VERMICULUS DOES?" Professor Swinderman asked during the final minutes of Defence Against the Dark Arts for the day. James' hand shot up from beside Sirius, same as Lily Evans'. They'd been at this for a while now; contending academically for no specific reason. Sirius thought perhaps it was pride - that's what he'd personally fight for. "Yes, Mr Potter?"

"It's a form of transfiguration actually, which turns things into worms, Sir," the boy responded. James sent a bounteous smile Evans' way. The girl's expression soured and she turned away, stretching her arm higher in an attempt to get the teacher's attention.

"That's correct. Thank you, Mr Potter," Professor Swinderman said, smiling at James. He turned his gaze to Lily, "Would you like to add something, Miss Evans?"

The redhead nodded, "Yes, Professor. I was just going to add that Vampyr Mosp are especially susceptible to Vermiculus, and that any other spell cast on them whilst they're in this state will cause them to explode in a flash of bright colours."

"Brilliant addition, Miss Evans! Five points to Gryffindor," he rewarded, before glancing at his watch to check the time. "A'right, kids, that's all for today," Professor Swinderman said as he shut his copy of 'The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection', "Don't forget to revise chapter two before your next class with me."

Sirius slipped out of his seat, reaching for his bookbag. He looked up to find James sitting there, mouth wide open. "Trying to catch flies, mate?" Sirius teased, cocking a brow.

"Did you see that?" the brunette asked, grabbing his things as well.

Sirius furrowed his eyebrows as the two exited the classroom along with Remus and Peter, "See what?"

"Evans," James huffed, stepping down the spiralling staircase. The boy watched after the redhead, who'd left accompanied by Mary MacDonald and Marlene McKinnon. "Merlin, just why does she always need to compete?" he asked the group after a moment, seeming exasperated.

"Well, she is kind of smart," Peter said, trying to stuff his textbook into his bag as he did. He looked up, "but you're also smart so I dunno."

James sighed, "I bet it's that git she's friends with. I don't like the look of him, y'know? He's probably why she doesn't like me."

Sirius nodded, "He's a Slytherin and we all know how those lot are."

"I think you lot should just leave her alone," said Remus, raising an eyebrow at the boys. "She hasn't done anything really."

"Neither have we!" exclaimed Peter, seeming worried all of a sudden. "Right?"

"Neither have we, Peter." Remus reassured, sighing.

"Yet," James added, winking at the boys and earning a laugh from Sirius in the process. The four approached the doors to their common room and Remus looked up at the fat lady with a small smile, uttering the password - shrivelfig. The giant doors opened wide and they strolled inside. James and Sirius took their seats near the fireplace while Peter and Remus retreated to the dorm, saying they had to complete their astronomy work.