CHAPTER 8

YOUR SOLDIER

The spirit of the Holidays had made Ellie's house homier than ever

The spirit of the Holidays had made Ellie's house homier than ever. If one thing Howard loved, besides himself, his little sister and his company, was Christmas.

He loved the idea of gifts, and food and hot chocolate by the Christmas three.

Ellie wasn't particularly fond of this Holiday, but her brother made an annual christmas ball, with dresses and desserts and many, many people.

That didn't make it more enjoyable for her. She wasn't a people person.

But her friends were, at least Laura and Alex. Tommy resembled her in this particular aspect.

And so, every year since the four of them had been friends, they would spend Christmas with Ellie at the fancy party her brother threw.

Laura was the most excited. She would try on many dresses and shoes, bringin Ellie along.

This year though, Ellie had not had the time to go dress shopping with her friend, not with weeks of anticipation.

Thus, both girls found themselves in crowded stores.

It seemed people did Christmas shopping the day before Christmas.

"Oh look!" said Laura, pointing at a beautiful blue gown in one store, "it's breathtaking" she said.

"It really is" nodded Ellie, "and blue is your color"

"Oh look!" Laura repeated, the same excited smile on her face, pointing to another dress, equally beautiful "that one was made for you. I can feel it in my bones"

If Laura said she felt something in her bones, Ellie had learned to trust her words.

And so, both girls try on the dresses and to say they looked exceptionally beautiful was an understatement.

"How are things at work?" asked Ellie while the two of them were walking down a crowded street.

"Amazing!" smiled Laura, "well, not quite... I mean, I love it, like, so much... But they dont trust me to do important stuff, while the other trainees - the men trainees-, well, they are handled important files and such"

Ellie was not surprised. It didn't matter that Laura was the best student and would become the best lawyer Ellie knew. It didn't matter that she was the best of her class by far.

"That won't stop me," said Laura, "I'll make my way, I know I will," she said with such certainty Ellie smiled proudly.

"Of course you will, Lori," said Ellie.

"What about you? How's military life treating you?"

"Well, it's not really military life, but it's nice... I would like to participate more but all of use are treated like beginners" she said, "the people are nice"

Laura stopped dead in her tracks and looked at Ellie curiously.

"You never say people are nice. In fact, you always say the exact opposite" she said, narrowing her eyes.

Ellie smiled shyly, "yeah, so?"

"Hm" said Laura and they both kept walking.

Laura seemed to be thinking and then she stopped dead in her tracks again, "you met someone!"

"What?" chuckled Ellie, "of course not"

"Yes you did!" squeaked Lori, a huge grin on her face, "is he handsome! Oh, is he a soldier? I loooove soldiers, though nurses are just another level"

Immediately after she said that, Lori blushed a deep scarlet and went silent.

"I never said that" she mumbled, and Ellie noticed Laura's sad eyes.

"How are you dealing with, you know, the breakup?" said Ellie, entwining her arm with Laura's.

Laura chuckled bitterly, "I miss her" she said and took a breath, "I know I shouldn't because... well, you know why..."

Ellie nodded and Laura took another breath.

"No mind that now" said Laura and Ellie was about to say something but Laura looked at her, "it's okay, I'll get over her... eventually" she managed a smile, "now, what about we look for some shoes?

"All right" said Ellie

"And don't you think i've forgotten about your soldier" smirked Laura and Ellie blushed.