CHAPTER 14

BEHIND ME

"I forgot to tell you what happened with Thomas," Ellie told Laura the next day

"I forgot to tell you what happened with Thomas," Ellie told Laura the next day. Alex had called, and he had told both girls about Thomas cancelling the plans they had.

And so, Ellie told Laura what happened.

"I can't believe he said that" said Laura, furrowing her brows, "I mean, I do believe he said that, but heck! That was rude"

"It was" nodded Ellie, "and out of nowhere"

"I don't know about out of nowhere" murmured Laura, "but never mind that" she smiled, "we can make our own plans since Alex ditched us for his girl" said Laura, faking annoyance, "I would totally ditch us for her any time, so fair enough" added the redhead.

Ellie laughed, "so, what are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking about going to the movies!" said Laura happily, "I love the movies"

"Alright, but you'll have to drive"

"Haven't you already got your license?"

"Not yet"

"I didn't bring mine" said Laura, "and I am not walking in these heels" she added, signaling her new shoes, "I'll ruin them"

"Jarvis can take you!" shouted Howard from the other room.

"Are you eavesdropping, Howard?" asked Ellie.

"No" he shouted.

"You are" said Ellie.

"Perhaps I am" he said, now standing on Ellie's door, "but at any rate, Jarvis can take you to the movies"

"Weren't you going to meet this, um, potential client?"

Howard smirked mischievously, "the meeting has been, well, the location and the hour of the meeting has changed"

Ellie shook her head, "sure, whatever Howard '' she said and looked at Laura, "one of these days, I'm going to be an aunt" she told her, not even bothering to lower her voice.

"And an excellent one, I am sure" was the last thing Howard said before leaving, laughing as he did.

Laura laughed as well, "that was amusing"

"Try dealing with it once a week"

"Not so amusing then?" Laura asked.

"It's just... You know how Howard is this genius rich single man... I can never be sure about the intentions of anyone around him"

"That is why you haven't told your soldier about you being a Stark, isn't it?"

Ellie went quiet for a couple of seconds, and then Jarvis appeared, smiling as always.

"Miss Stark, Miss Gardner, the car is ready"

"And so are we!" said Ellie, taking Laura's hand and walking towards the garage. A lot of Howard's cars were parked there, clean and as good as new.

Jarvis sat on the driver's seat of one of the cars, Ellie and Laura in the back.

"Has the week at work been alright, Miss Stark?" asked Jarvis.

"Yes, it has, thank you very much for asking" smiled Ellie.

"He met a boy" added Laura, "that's why she's all giddy"

"Oh hush!" Ellie blushed, "it's just a friend"

Jarvis noticed Ellie's silence and asked, "what about your week, Miss Gardner?"

Ellie mouthed a thank you and Jarvis smiled. Laura told him all about her job, about the people there and about how much she hated them all.

By the time she was finished, they had arrived at the movies.

"Would it be alright if you pick us up in about three hours? In that cafe we always go?"

"Very well, Miss Stark" Jarvis smiled, "have a good evening" and then he left.

Ellie smiled and walked to the cinema with Laura by her side. They bought the tickets and the popcorn and watched the film.

Laura ended up crying at the end, murmuring all about star crossed lovers and how much that trope made her sad.

They left the cinema and headed to that cafe they liked so much, but in a dark alley, two figures appeared in front of them.

Ellie heard a gun click and Laura gasped.

"Well, why are two young ladies walking here, at this hour!" said the voice of a man, "you shouldn't be walking by yourselves, let alone, with no man to protect you"

"Now, don't be afraid," said the other one, taking a step towards them, "we just want to have fun!"

Ellie took a breath and murmured to Laura, "behind me"