CHAPTER 22

DO I MAKE ANY SENSE?

Bucky didn't let Ellie fall

And he did try to teach her, but Ellie was laughing so much about Bucky's face of pure concentration that he gave up.

"You just look so funny" she said, "and not in a bad way, I mean like in a really nice funny way"

"I'll let it slide just because I like you, Laney," he said, grinning.

Ellie blushed again but this time she didn't mind it at all.

✧✦✧

Some days passed, days in which Ellie could not concentrate one bit.

She had work to do, but somehow her brain only focused on Bucky and his smile and his laugh and his eyes...

"Don't think about him" she chided herself, "you have work to do"

"What?" asked Alex, he was writing something on a blueprint.

"Oh, nothing" Ellie said, taking a long breath, "nothing"

He looked at her.

"I'm fine, really," she said. After a moment she cleared her throat, "well, no, actually..."

"Actually?" he asked.

"I have a question"

"All right"

"So, um... You know what, forget it"

Alex laughed, "you have heart problems, don't you?"

Ellies cheeks flushed, "what?"

"Heart" he signaled to her heart, "problems"

"Since when do you say heart problems?" asked Ellie.

"Lori," said Alex.

"Yeah, it sounds like her all the way"

"So you do have heart problems" he mused, "you know, when I first met Sonya, I was a nerve wreck" he confessed, "but I hide it pretty well"

"You did?" asked Ellie, chuckling.

"Well, I hope I did," Alex scratched the back of his neck, "it's just, she was the most wonderful person I had ever met. She still is the most wonderful person. And I was, well, me"

"I'm sure she likes you just fine," said Ellie, a smile on her face. Alex and Sonya were hands down her favorite couple.

"Now I know that" said Alex, "but before... Oh man, I was a walking disaster, I swear"

"You are the worst at giving advise"

"I didn't know you were seeking advice," he grinned, "it has to do with your soldier, doesn't it?"

Ellie narrowed her eyes but then took a breath, "I can't stop thinking about him and I have a lot of things to do and it's so fucking weird because I am usually- No, I am always a really focused person and its frustrating but at the same time it's not, but it is? Do I make any sense?"

"You do, actually" said Alex, "you want my advice?"

"Sure"

"If you're thinking about him the way you told me you are, let me tell you Ellie, you're in lov-"

"Don't end that sentence" Ellie said, eyes wide.

"Do you think you are?"

Ellie stayed silent and stood up. Her heart was pounding on her chest.

"I'm going to go now, take some air" was the last thing she said before she left the office.

Could Alex's words be true?

Could she be in love with Bucky Barnes?