CHAPTER 16

AM I DREAMING?

It was Monday and Ellie found herself on the rooftop, with James by her side

It was Monday and Ellie found herself on the rooftop, with James by her side. The moon and stars shone above them.

But her mind was elsewhere.

She was still surprised she had come out alive from that alley. She had taken a risk.

But it seemed that now, her unwanted ability with the knives was not unwanted at all.

That morning, she had left her house with her swiss knife and two more knives, one hidden in her bag and the other in her knife garter under her skirt.

It felt weird because she never had thought that walking around with a knife strapped on her leg would make her feel safe. But it somehow did.

She had convinced Howard not to hire any bodyguards. She was happy he had agreed, even if it had taken a conversation of almost four hours.

She wouldn't say everything was back to normal. It really wasn't.

She felt different.

She felt powerful.

And that made her feel as if she was the worst person walking on this earth.

How could she feel like that when she had hurted two human beings? Of course, they were shity human beings, but still...

"You're doing that again," said James.

"Doing what?" asked Ellie, brows furrowing.

"It's like, deep thinking? You disconnect from the world" he chuckled.

"I do?" Ellie asked, "maybe I do" she said mostly to herself.

"How much have you slept recently?"

"Eleven hours"

"A day?"

"A week," Ellie said, yawning.

"You should rest more," James said worriedly.

"I have work to do," she said and then chuckled. She was starting to sound like Howard.

"Look, it's almost curfew, maybe you should sleep a bit..."

"Oh no, I still have blueprints to check and reports to fill and so much more things" she said, "I'm not even tired-" she yawned.

"You were saying?" said James, laughing.

"I'm not tired, really" she said and had to stifle another yawn. Unconsciously, she rested her head on the crook of his neck.

James went still.

"Not even tired" she mumbled and felt her eyes closing.

Was sleeping while seated on the verge of a rooftop safe? Most definitely not, but tiredness overcame her.

She could hardly make James say something like, "come here" and she felt as if her body was floating, then it hit the ground softly. She felt something like a blanket and soon, she was sleeping comfortably.

✧✦✧

When she woke up, she didn't want to move.

She felt so comfortable, she felt the morning fog on her skin, she felt some ray of sunshine, and her head was placed on... was it another person?

She opened her eyes and found herself seated next to James; her head was still placed on the crook of his neck. His jacket was on her like a blanket.

But she was no longer seated on the verge of the rooftop, but rather, next to the door on said floor.

She felt disoriented and lifted her head from his neck. In that instant, James woke up abruptly. His head had been resting comfortably above hers. But now it wasn't anymore.

"I'm awake!" he said while yawning, "I'm awake" he repeated and then looked at Ellie, "am I dreaming?" he asked charmingly.

Ellie smiled, "you're not"

"I thought I was, you know, because I woke up next to the most beautiful person I've ever seen," he said, grinning.

She smacked him on the arm playfully, "very smooth Sergeant, really smooth", she laughed but felt her cheeks burning.

He smiled at her, "one of my many charms"

a/n: i finally had the time to post an update! i am hoping to be able to upload more frequently, but with classes it can be a little hard. Anyway, have a nice week:)