CHAPTER 13

WHO WANTS TO MARRY ME?

"Who is he?" was the first thing Howard asked Ellie

"James," said Ellie.

"James" repeated Howard.

"Yes, James"

"Hm" said Howard, "do we have to have the talk?"

"The talk?" repeated Ellie and her brain clicked, "for all the holy things out there, please no"

"I just wanted to be sure, you know, just in case..."

"SHUT UP! OH, THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING!" Ellie exclaimed, flushed, "he is just my friend"

"That doesn't mean that you and him can't-"

Ellie interrupted him, "Howie, brother, please stop talking"

"Jeez, you're a prude," joked Howard.

"You did not just say that!" Ellie replied, "and I am not a prude. I already had my first kiss, all right" she said.

Howard laughed, "all right Ellie" he said, "you are not a prude, you just get flushed when I start talking about sex"

"BECAUSE YOU ARE MY BROTHER!" Ellie shouted, "you know what? I'll go to my room to avoid having this conversation with you"

"JUST BE SAFE!" was the last thing Ellie heard Howard say and she took an exasperated breath.

✧✦✧

"If I liked him in a romantic way, I would probably, most definitely marry your brother," laughed Laura that night. Ellie had told her about what he said, "he's so cool with like, all the stuff, you know?" she added.

Laura and Ellie were laying on the floor of Ellie's living room, eating popcorn.

"Who wants to marry me?" Howard shouted from the kitchen.

"Not me" responded Laura.

A second later, a confused Howard Stark appeared in the living room.

"Why? Am I not your type? I'm everyone's type!" he said.

"Not mine" chuckled Laura.

Before Howard could ask Laura who her type was, Ellie said, "go Howard! You are not welcome in our late-night girl talk"

"I'm never welcome!" he complained jokingly.

"That's because the one time you were actually invited, all you talked about was yourself"

"I am a very interesting person" he stated and then left with a wave and a "have a good night"

Laura was playing with one of her bracelets, "so Howard met James?"

"Oh no. I don't know what would happen if he ever does meet him" said Ellie, "it's just... I'm sure it will scare him..."

"The whole my-brother-is-a-genius-millionaire thing?"

"Yeah. That exactly" Ellie nodded, "every time I have told that to, well, friends... It um, ended with one of two things. They would walk away because it intimidated them or stick around because of..."

"The money" guessed Laura and Ellie nodded.

"I mean, I get it" Ellie took a breath, "but at any rate, things are going well, so why change that?"

"He'll eventually know" said Laura, "and his reaction would be everything I'll need to know to judge him" she said and Ellie laughed.

"It scares me more the idea of you meeting him" she said, "you would totally scare him. You scare everyone"

"Hey! I'm nice with my friends!"

"And what about the rest of the human population?"

"I'm nice when I want to!" complained Laura.

"Define when I want to, if you may," Ellie smiled.

"I may" said Laura, "I mean, when I like the person, and when I'm in a good mood and when the day has gone well."

"And when was the last time these three things happened together?

Laura mused, "you are right"

"Indeed, I am" said Ellie, "now, what about chocolate cake and Dumbo?"

"You want me to cry, don't you?" said Laura, "I'm in!"

a/n: it would mean a lot if you could vote or comment or share! thanks, and have a great day<3