CHAPTER 18

I KNEW YOU WOULD LIKE IT

March went by faster than expected and April came

March went by faster than expected and April came. And with it, the day Ellie would turn twenty.

If it weren't for Howard and Laura, who had woken her up in the morning with breakfast in bed and a huge "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" sign held by Jarvis and his wife, she would have forgotten.

Even Alex remembered when he picked her up, giving her a huge bouquet of tulips, he said that his girlfriend - no, that his fiancée - had picked them. Ellie loved those flowers.

And Thomas had called.

Ellie was still mad at Thomas.

Really, what on earth had happened for him to act like that?

He had told her he was sorry and wished her a happy birthday, but the call had felt so awkward to Ellie.

But what surprised her the most was finding James Barnes on the rooftop, waiting for her as usual, but he had a box in his hands.

"Happy Birthday, Laney" he said, stepping closer.

"You remembered?" she asked, because she herself had forgotten.

"Of course, I even count the days on the calendar," he said, and Ellie knew he was not joking. That made her feel shivers down her spine.

Damn him and his calendar, she thought.

James gave her the box, "hope you like it"

She thanked him and opened it. Her smile increased when she saw a miniature wooden biplane.

"James, it's beautiful, I... Thank you" she said and did not hesitate to hug him. It felt weird, because for once in her life she didn't want to pull away. But she did after a moment.

James was startled but managed to say, "I knew you would like it"

She smiled and when she arrived home that night, she put the little plane on her night table.

✧✦✧

"I want to give you something," said Howard a couple of days after Ellie's birthday.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Promise me you will accept my gift"

Ellie looked at him with curiosity, "my birthday was two days ago"

"I know" Howard said exasperated, "but the gift wasn't ready, not that it was my fault..."

That meant it was entirely his fault.

"What is it?"

"Don't refuse it, okay?"

"What is it?"

He took a breath and grinned, "I know you have been complaining about still living with your boring older brother"

"You are boring sometimes"

He narrowed his eyes, "that hurt, Ellie. I am not boring!"

"Sure" she chuckled.

"Anyway, and as the best big brother that I am, I thought, 'you know what? Let's get Ellie an apartment.' And of course, my ideas are always amazing" he said.

Elli went silent.

"Did you hear me?" he asked, noticing that Ellie was as still as a statue.

"What?"

"That I got you an apartment"

"You, what?"

"I know, I am the best," he said and gave her a key.

"But I was saving to buy it myself" she said to herself and looked at him, "Howard, I-" she took a breath and smiled, "thank you, thank you so much"

Howard smiled back, "You know the company is now a success partly because of you."

"Just partly?" she chuckled.

"More than partly, let's say, 20% partly" he said.

She feigned offence, "just 20%?"

"Fine" said Howard, "22%" he joked and Ellie let out a laugh, "but seriously, you know your help has been invaluable, Eleanor" he smiled proudly at her, "now what about we go take a look at your new apartment?"

"Sounds like a plan, if we grab some cheeseburgers on the way"

"No pickles?" Howard asked.

"No pickles," she nodded.