a misfortunate detention

4. A MISFORTUNATE DETENTION

 A MISFORTUNATE DETENTION

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

While sat in Charms lesson, Eleanor had kept glancing at the empty spot next to her. It was supposed to be occupied by Cedric, but the ticking clock read that he was late by thirty-three minutes. She knew for a fact she had seen him that very morning as he had dragged her out of bed by her ankles, waited patiently for her to get ready, and then marched her down to the hall. All of her roomates (besides Monica, she was still asleep) had watched all of this happen. At breakfast, Eleanor had sat by his side but while walking down the corridors he had suddenly disappeared into the swarm of first years.

The door to Professor Flitwick's classroom creaked open slowly, interrupting her from her wandering thoughts. In the doorway stood Cedric, his face flushed pink with embarrassment. "Sorry I'm late," he apologised awkwardly.

"No worries, Mr Diggory," Flitwick said, "Find a seat. I'm sure you'll be able to catch up in no time."

Cedric nodded and made his way across the classroom towards Eleanor, his hand fiddling with the strap on his satchel. Happiness radiated off him, and Eleanor could see the small smile lighting up his face.

"Mr. Perfect late to class," She gasped quietly as he sat down next to her and started hurriedly getting his Charms books out. A smirk spread across her face, "How scandalous."

"Hush, Eleanor," Cedric whispered and glared playfully at her. "It was for a good thing."

"How is being late to class a good thing?" Eleanor asked, eyebrows furrowed confusedly.

"If you would let me talk then you would know," Cedric asserted pointedly. When he saw Eleanor tightly press her lips together, he nodded. "Thank you. I was late because I had a meeting with Professor Sprout in her office." When he saw Eleanor eyes widen and her mouth twitch upwards, he rolled his own eyes. "It wasn't a bad thing, before you start calling me Mr. Rebellious instead of Mr. Perfect. I've actually just received the best news ever."

"Hurry up and get to it then."

Cedric made no move to hush her, instead his lips curved into one of the most sheepish smiles she had ever seen him wear. "I'm the new captain for Hufflepuff's Quidditch team," he announced quietly, his face flushing red as he became shy under her shocked stare.

Eleanors's eyes went wide with shock. Cedric and her had both made the team together in their third year and had remained on the team since then, Cedric as a Seeker and herself as a Beater. "Wow," she breathed out, "That's definitely not a bad thing."