8. The sinisterly playful Duke.

Mavros.

*Brinnngggg*

*BAM*

*Screeech*

All kinds of horrified screams were heard.

"P-please spare us! We were just following the orders given to us by his- keugh!! Aahhhh!"

A minute later, silence took over. It was broken too, by the sound of pleasant laughter.

A man in black stood there and laughed alone.

"...ahaha, all done~"

****

The castle of the Mavrosians.

A red haired man walked through the halls as the nobles who were passing by greeted him.

"Good morning, Duke Euphros."

"Hello, marquis."

"Hello, Duke. It's a pleasant day, isn't it?"

"It is, count."

The man smiled at each and everyone who greeted him as he replied to them.

"His majesty might give a summon if you don't go soon enough, Duke." A fellow nobleman laughed as he said.

"Ah,yes. I'll take my leave then."

The man smiled strangely and left.

"Look at him. That kind of success is only for the chosen ones." A noble sighed. (Aoi: puh-lease 'chosen' ones? don't make me remember the A class)

"Of course. Just three years, and a commoner rose through the ranks to become a Duke, nothing less. His status is even higher than the most powerful dukedoms in the empire." Another count added.

"Keep your voice down. Are you asking for death, talking about this so openly?!" A wise-looking duke warned them.

****

The throne room.

"Ahem.. Sir Eris, I heard you were attacked by some assassins?" The emperor asked, appearing concerned for the man standing in front of him.

"Your majesty! Do you really think those kids would have been able to kill me? I, Eris Euphros, am your most trusted advisor for a reason, am I not?~" The red haired, young lazy-looking duke replied in a rather amused tone. 

"Ack.. Y-yes that's true." The tone of the emperor became a little apprehensive for some reason.

"I'm glad your majesty cares about me so much~ after all, we don't want the empire to collapse.." The Duke laughed it off as if it was a nothing though his amber eyes showed a little contempt and ridicule.

"...You're right."

****

"That bastard, why send the assassins in first place when you know they'll be killed by me? Ah~ now the guild lost three of its most skilled assassins~ I could've used them to kill him instead~"

Reaching out of sight of the emperor, he smiled a little crookedly and muttered.

****
The obelian empire.

"Karma-kun! Come down from that tree, will ya!" Athanasia shouted out to her brother.

"Noona~ just let me work in peace." Karma said, smiling, while he jumped from the tree.

"Yeah right, you sound as if you're so busy." Athanasia rolled her eyes.

"Of course I'm busy, what do you think I was doing all the way up there?"