Chapter 4

Saturday. Usually one of the busiest days for Eleanor's little coffee shop and the day she would be meeting up with Hayley for dinner and drinks in the evening. Throughout the morning, Darcie manned the counter as Eleanor made more Autumn specials. Today's consisted of plum and rhubarb tartlets, ginger and cinnamon cookies and pumpkin seed bread. Eleanor had also experimented with a butterbeer coffee which seemed to be going down a treat with the customers. As always, Darcie was blown away by Eleanor's talents as she eyed the goods Eleanor brought out to the display cabinets.

By the time midday rolled around, Eleanor was a mess of frizzy curls flopping over her face and flour all over her navy blue jumper and jeans.

"You've got a little something..." Darcie giggled, gesturing to her nose.

"Oh yeah? Well, you do too now!" Eleanor said as she flicked a bit of flour at Darcie's face, causing the girl to squeal.

"Have I come at a bad time?" A deep voice interrupted the girl's in their childish actions. Eleanor whipped her head round to face the owner of the voice, feeling her stomach do a mini somersault when she spotted the familiar curly red hair, freckles and ocean-blue eyes. She couldn't help but admire how he looked even better today, if that was at all possible! He wore a pair of dark blue jeans, cuffed at the ankles sitting above his worn, brown lace-up boots paired with a white t-shirt underneath a red and grey plaid flannel shirt. Eleanor suddenly felt decidedly embarrassed at her appearance, a raggedy old jumper, jeans with rips in the knees, untamed hair and flour smeared across her face.

"Oh! Hello," she squeaked. Darcie snorted a laugh next to her and Eleanor discreetly elbowed her in the ribs. "Sorry, no, I was just... Never mind, how can I help?".

"No apologies necessary,"'Charlie smiled, that warm, inviting smile he'd given her yesterday. "George actually sent me. He said to tell you that he's fine, just busy, and to grab his usual for him?" He said, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

Eleanor nodded. "Right, sure. So one coffee, one pastry. Can I get you anything as well...?" She trailed off, hoping he'd catch her hint and say his name (although she already knew).

He cleared his throat. "Charlie. I'm... Charlie," he affirmed. "And um... What would you recommend...?" He asked, copying her actions and hoping she'd tell him her name (although he already knew).

"Eleanor... Ellie," she nodded, pointing to herself. As soon as she caught wind of her absurd actions, she dropped her hand and inwardly groaned at her painful awkwardness. "Okay... Do you like butterbeer?".

"Love it," Charlie nodded.

"And are you hungry, Charlie?" She asked, turning away from him to prepare the drinks.

"Uh... Yes? I could eat..." he said, almost as a question.

"Good. Okay. Great," Eleanor smiled. Whilst she was facing away from him, she grimaced at her actions and silently willed herself to turn the stupid off and say something... Normal!

Eleanor prepared one coffee (just the way George liked it), one butterbeer hot chocolate and two of the plum and rhubarb tartlets, placing them into one of the branded bags and placing it onto the counter. Charlie went to pull out some coins from his pocket, but Eleanor stopped him.

"George doesn't pay in here, so neither do you," she said, placing a hand over his to stop him.

"What? Don't be silly, you have to let us..." Charlie argued, ignoring the way her small hand on top of his sent sparks throughout his entire body.

"I'm afraid not," she grinned, her green eyes sparkling. "I'll just hold you to a favour one day. How about that?".

Charlie matched her grin and dropped the coins back into his pocket. "Deal. Thanks, Ellie," he said, grabbing the bag. "I'm sure I'll see you again soon,".