Chapter 32

I have a feeling that Christmas will end up being several chapters long, i just cant get enough!! On another note; I finally got no to the Warner Bros Studios yesterday! I so wish that Charlie was represented in the films like he deserves to be :'( Enjoy <3

Despite Molly's efforts, there was a melancholic presence lurking in the air of The Burrow on Christmas Day. Every single member of the Weasley family went about their morning with heavy hearts, a spare seat left unoccupied at the breakfast table. George was yet to be seen, but everybody knew it was useless trying to coax him out of his old bedroom. He would appear when he was ready, which was something they'd had to learn the hard way.

Charlie found himself already beginning to feel sleepy as he rested his elbows on the table, cradling his chin in his hands. The aroma of the lunch cooking had his stomach rumbling and the heat made for a rather cosy feel in the room. He knew that their guests would be arriving soon and he definitely didn't feel in the mood for socializing with strangers. He wondered what Eleanor was up to, knowing it was just her and her dad today, and made a note to himself to write to her after dinner.
It wasn't long before there was a small commotion coming from the living room, and his father's jovial voice greeting the new arrivals alerted Charlie to their presence. He huffed a deep breath and took his elbows off the table, earning a chuckle from Bill as he attempted to look friendly. He could hear footsteps and happy voices getting closer until they were just outside the kitchen door, still just out of sight.

"We're so glad you could join us today," Arthur said happily as he ducked in through the kitchen doorway.

"Ah, we really appreciate the invitation, don't we?" a second voice said, and Charlie smiled politely as a tall man entered behind Arthur. He had a head of thick brown hair that was peppered with grey and had a kind pair of brown eyes and wore a friendly smile.

What happened next had Charlie reeling, feeling as though his stomach dropped through the floor. He saw a flash of a bright red jumper before a head of familiar curly hair came into view and his heart hammered in his chest. Somehow, he knew who it was before they were even fully in the room. When he heard her voice replying to the man, there was no doubt about it. He found himself unconsciously rising from his seat and standing, mouth agape, looking at the sight before him. When she appeared, Charlie was in awe. In no way had he expected to see her today, and there he was, completely unprepared for the way his body reacted to the sight of her.

Eleanor entered the room and turned to face the family members that Arthur was introducing them to, and just as she predicted, the sight of Charlie looking at her sent a shiver through her body. The sight of him in his Christmas jumper was enough to have her heart aching, desperately wanting to rush to him and launch herself into his arms. He was clearly very surprised, but his expression was difficult to read, his bright blue eyes fixed on her and unwavering. She couldn't tell whether it was a happy type of surprise or not and it made her inexplicably nervous.

"And this is my second eldest, Charlie," Arthur spoke up, gesturing his arm out towards where Charlie stood still behind the kitchen table. His dad sent him a questioning look as though asking him what on earth he was doing.

"Charlie actually already knows Eleanor, don't you Charlie?" Ginny grinned from somewhere beside him.

"You do?" Arthur asked. "That's wonderful! How do you two know each other?".

"I..." Eleanor began, but her words were cut off when Charlie finally came into himself and walked around the table to greet their guests properly.

"It's good to meet you, Mr Birch," Charlie spoke sincerely, not knowing what on earth to do with this unexpected first meeting with Eleanor's dad. He held out his hand for him to shake and was met with a warm smile from the man.